Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looked at the bike today and noticed the nipple for the rearward fuel line was cocked up a bit so i decided to take the tank off and reposition the thing in a better angle. as soon as i twisted it around it became loose and slid out.

i got it stuck back in and it was holding in place but when i reinstalled the tank the rearward fuel line was pinched against the carb to the point the fuel would not flow to that carb. removed the tank and the nipple fell out.

now i am looking into a way to elongate the nipple so it sits further to the back of the bike i am thinking i can use a small section of brass tubing threaded into the petcock with some pipe tape on it and then thread the nipple onto the other side the same way.

has anyone had this problem with the rearward nipple before?

i think i recall wolfie waying you could get one from the harley dealer that will fit our bikes but i am looking for one that will run further back before the bend

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Nahh nahhh...the petcock ends are pressed in too (tapered), and they will loosen with age/removals....just pull the fitting out a lil, slap some JB Weld on it (away from the petcock), then tap it back in with a slightly upwards angle to clear stuff...I use a small tack hammer to do it...remember, even though the fitting may be pointed up, the apex of the fuel line coming out is still lower than the lowest point in the tank....she'll flow....dont worry about the angle....just get her in and sealed...if yer bike aint that old, you can get away with just angling then tapping in w/o the JB....

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...yup...just slip it out some, make sure its clean and dry, then use a toothpick for some JB...tap it back in at the angle ya want (a lil up is fine)....I needed to redo mine after 3k miles, lol...still, less than a new petcock...

I even take a pair of XL channel locks, grab both fittings and squeeze em together...on an 86, the taper is prolly worn away...thats where the JB come in...

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i bout a little brass pipe about 2 inches long and used a tread tap on the petcock.
applied a bit of the permatex aviation gasket sealer since it was the only thing i found that worked with gas then i cut about a half inch off the other side and slipped a short rubber hose over it and clamped it then stuck the original nipple to the other end of the hose and clamped it too

it works great but i think i git a bit of the sealer inside the pipe cause now one of my idle jets seems to be clogged so off come the carbs soon

not such a problem now since i bought me a car today

1 - 5 of 5 Posts