Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look at this!!!!

Any suggestions on this busted stem? When I took it apart it was completely clogged with crap. Any suggestions on getting a filter over this?

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Check your PM.:beerchug:

·
rider
213 Posts
hey j.

my petcock looked the same way, although mine still had the screen over the main tank pipe. my reserve tube was missing. you can buy the new petcock assembly or you could just install two inline fuel filters (or you could use whatever lance mysteriously pm'd you). picked mine up at o'reilly's... cheap... say $2.50 each or so. i also bought some extra fuel line to give me a little slack and then just rigged them up between the petcock and the carbs.

up to you, obviously, but since you just bought the rebuild kit you might want to go with the fuel filters. the only thing a replacement petcock is going to give you that you don't already have is screens over the main pipe and if i'm not mistaken, a very short reserve tank pipe with a screen.

·
MO Rider
66 Posts
petcock rebuild

With all the funny buisness with the vacuum and petcock, has anybody just went with a strictly on/off with no vacuum needed? or is there such a thing. I would think without the plunger and diaphram parts that would get rid of that issue. Any thoughts? P.S. I do have a rebuild kit coming in today, hope it fixes the damn thing.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
With all the funny buisness with the vacuum and petcock, has anybody just went with a strictly on/off with no vacuum needed? or is there such a thing. I would think without the plunger and diaphram parts that would get rid of that issue. Any thoughts?
If ya go that way, you'll have to remember to ALWAYS turn the fuel off when the bike isn't running. Otherwise you'll have fuell leaking all over the place. I do believe someone else here did that awhile ago.
As for adding inline filters, if you go that route, be sure they are filters that will give very little restriction, as there is no pump to push/pull the fuel through them, just gravity.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
With all the funny buisness with the vacuum and petcock, has anybody just went with a strictly on/off with no vacuum needed? or is there such a thing. I would think without the plunger and diaphram parts that would get rid of that issue. Any thoughts? P.S. I do have a rebuild kit coming in today, hope it fixes the damn thing.
Your 86' petcock has a "PRI" setting whichn means prime. It bypasses the vacuum diaphram and fuuel will flow without vacuum. :beerchug:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey thanks everyone. I have the main fuel filter - it's just the the reserve has been ripped off I guess. I'm gonna go for the in line fuel filter but I imagine that it'll clog again regardless (at least I'll keep everything out of my carbs though).

BTW - is the BIG O-RING in the petcock rebuild kit used for anything??

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
BTW - is the BIG O-RING in the petcock rebuild kit used for anything??

Thanks again.
There should be a semi-oval gasket between the top edge of the petcock and where it sits against the tank. If I remember correctly, I've used the large o-ring to serve as the semi-oval one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That's Brilliant! I gave it a whirl and it fit right in! I don't know why I didn't even try - and besides when I put the PC back on with the old dried out one it was leaking like you wouldn't believe. Shout out to Lance too for the same suggestion!

I built a filter for it and it did a pretty good job (I'll put pictures up tomorrow) - but it was too big to fit in that tiny fuel slit there both stems go. Damn... I think I need a smaller gauge hanging wire. I'll put it back on for now without the reserve filter and decide what I will do later... I'd like another go at making a filter. Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I think once you fit that round o-ring into that channel it becomes oval. :)
The after market petcocks I've used on a couple previous KAW models have had round not oval shaped apparatuses that go up into the tank, and a bit of dremmel grinding was needed to get them to fit. It was always fun wondering if you really got all the gas out of the tank and it was really dry, when you started making a bunch of sparks! :doh: The screw hole pattern was the same, which of course you have to measure before you order to get the right one. Much easier to rebuild one of ours while you can still get the parts. Not so much on the old bikes. I still have a habit of turning the petcock off on my bikes when I park. Probably not the worst bad habit I have.

·
MO Rider
66 Posts
Your 86' petcock has a "PRI" setting whichn means prime. It bypasses the vacuum diaphram and fuuel will flow without vacuum. :beerchug:
No, mine has off, must have been changed.

·
Newb with a Bullet!
589 Posts
I still have a habit of turning the petcock off on my bikes when I park. Probably not the worst bad habit I have.
I don't think that counts as a bad habit. The bad habit is what I have- forgetting to turn it back on when I take off and then running out of fuel at the first light!!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I don't think that counts as a bad habit. The bad habit is what I have- forgetting to turn it back on when I take off and then running out of fuel at the first light!!
Oh yeah, that's my other bad habit! :doh:

·
MO Rider
66 Posts

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Originally Posted by eberghold
No, mine has off, must have been changed.
The difference isn't with an 'OFF' setting, it's with the older one having 'PRI' (prime) and the newer one having 'RES' (reserve).

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
The difference isn't with an 'OFF' setting, it's with the older one having 'PRI' (prime) and the newer one having 'RES' (reserve).
Incorrect!! 85'-88' has "pri" "on" "res" 89' and up have "off" "on" "res"

The "pri" function was to prime the carbs then switch to "on" since most people never read their owners manual they thought "pri" stood for primary and would leave set there. That posed a major problem if the float valve was stuck or did not fully close, the tank would empty on the floor or in the motor.

Kawasaki decided to omit the "pri" function for this reason. :beerchug:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts