Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used Permatex's The Right Stuff for my stator cover gasket, since I have done the Tuxedo mod and cannot use a stock one.

It came out really clean, and was usable within a minute or so supposedly. I guess if you need a non-standard gasket, you should check this stuff out. I always used Hondabond (RTV copper basically), but I didn't want a bunch of orange color visible.

This stuff did the job, well. :smiley_th

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Did you keep the stock rubber gasket in the channel? I've tried 3 times, and I can't keep the SOB from leaking.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I use the Permatex copper gasket stuff (hi-temp)...peel the orange off with an Exacto...

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you keep the stock rubber gasket in the channel? I've tried 3 times, and I can't keep the SOB from leaking.
No, i used only The Right Stuff. I make sure to fill up the channel, and then some. I put more towards the outside than the inside of the channel and squash it on, tighten the screws, and wipe off the excess. I put oil in about 5 minutes after assembly last night, and have ridden a few hours today on it with no issues.

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
No, i used only The Right Stuff. I make sure to fill up the channel, and then some. I put more towards the outside than the inside of the channel and squash it on, tighten the screws, and wipe off the excess. I put oil in about 5 minutes after assembly last night, and have ridden a few hours today on it with no issues.
Great, I'll have to give it a shot. I cut the notch out of my cover to re-route the stator wires. Did you do that also, or did you fish them through the old grommet?

I'm wondering if I warped my outer cover a bit because I just can't get it to stop leaking. I've got the rubber gasket in now, I cut a new paper gasket, and put silicone all over it. Still get a drip out of it...

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great, I'll have to give it a shot. I cut the notch out of my cover to re-route the stator wires. Did you do that also, or did you fish them through the old grommet?

I'm wondering if I warped my outer cover a bit because I just can't get it to stop leaking. I've got the rubber gasket in now, I cut a new paper gasket, and put silicone all over it. Still get a drip out of it...
I did cut the notch for the re-routing of the stator wires. I put some right stuff on all 4 sides of the grommet before sliding it on. If you use enough right stuff, it shouldn't matter about it being a little warped. Are you sure the leak isnt coming from one of the 3 screws? I had to replace the o-rings before they would stop leaking.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I had to replace the o-rings before they would stop leaking.
I did same with mine....$0.11 each at a local TrueValue Hardware...picked up a bunch extra too because the same size fit my MCCT conv.
Ond once the O-rings are new,the cover can be removed/replaced a number of times with same Orings...I also tighten the bottom screw "just a hair" tighter than the top ones.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have used the Right Stuff and higly recommend it. A little pricey, but worth it IMHO, especially when doing something you dont want to have to do over again, (case split). I have never had a leak when using it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As an auto mechanic for over 20 years i have used every kind including Right Stuff, which is great but the best I have found is Mopar Gray, only sold in the dealership I think. It cost about $15 bucks a tube but its great . The Right Stuff I have made compleat valve cover gaskets and transmission pan gaskets and have very good luck. In my opinion there are no better silicones gasket makers than Right Stuff and Mopar Gray.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just replaced the stator about an hour ago and used right stuff. I'm debating on throwing oil in it right now and firing it up... First world problems...

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Let it cure...

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The right stuff is usable immediately.

I've been in and out of there enough times to know. It is damn impressive.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Let it cure...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts