Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So I took a screw driver and pushed the pawl inward, and it slid up, enraging the pawl. I bought some a collection at an estate sale from an old stoner. I think I might have found the tool I needed to get the clip in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Hahaha, it might be a little discolored on the end, but it'll do the job! Hopefully a little bend in that spring will be the end of the story.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
ahh, didn't know that clip was out. And my post below about the retainers ... I was looking at the wrong shaft.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Hahaha, it might be a little discolored on the end, but it'll do the job! Hopefully a little bend in that spring will be the end of the story.
Been doin' some serious soldering with that one.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Reactions: Spockster

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Been doin' some serious soldering with that one.

I am sure that clip has held many burning things in its day. I am just happy it could hold that clip

Reactions: TheJabberWoggy

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
You didn't even drain the oil, did you?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Like I said... witchcraft haha.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Here’s what I did, to all of you future readers

1. Put the bike on the center stand.
2. Grab either fresh oil for an oil change, or, if it is 2 days old as mine was, grab the remaining 12oz left in the oil jug, catch basin, and a funnel.
3. Grab a 17mm socket for the oil plug, an 8mm deep and short socket, a flat head screwdriver, long needle nose pliers (or in my case, a conveniently constructed alligator clip), and a 10mm socket.
4. Drain the oil (leave the filter unless changing it), and put the plug back in. You don’t want to lose it.
5. Take your 8mm sockets and remove the 6 bolts on your transmission cover (it has the sight glass), and the 1 bolt that holds your clutch cable to the block. Excluding the clutch cable bracket bolt (which is small), going from the front of the bike, which would be the first bolt on the left, here are the bolt sizes, going clockwise.

6. Using the 10mm socket, remove your clutch thing, but be sure to mark where it lines up

7. Take your flathead screwdriver and pry the cover off. It will not come completely off, but enough that you can get to the spring.
8. Check to see how your spring is. My pawl had the spring squished, because it had slid back. Thinking that it applied pressure on the pawl, because it was just barely out of line with the “cog”, I popped the spring out. This is not correct. What happened was the spring slid down towards the clutch pedal, coming out of contact with the “cog”. This stopped the clip from pushing up on the pawl. Here is a crude drawing:
you will see that the clip goes behind the pawl, and if done right, the pawl will slide up to engage the cog. I also stretched the spring out before reinstalling, to give it more umpf.
9. Install in reverse order

·
Registered
730 Posts
Awesome work, thanks for the pics and write up.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Glad you got it working. "These shifters can't take any abuse at all, stomping the shifter is a definite no-no. Just falling off the kickstand is enough" This is absolutely true. It's why I never shift into gear from neutral with the engine running.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So you start the bike in gear? That's what I always do with my Harley. I can never find neutral in that damned thing.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Shifting into first shouldn't damage anything, it's brute force that breaks the rod. Now if the idle is excessively high, that can cause some gear gnashing.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Once I get the K&N filter in, and coasters, I will work on that. I have the stock mufflers from my roadking classic. I wonder if they would fit/sound better? I took the bike for the maiden voyage last night, before being stranded, and it sounded like a moped.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Once I get the K&N filter in, and coasters, I will work on that. I have the stock mufflers from my roadking classic. I wonder if they would fit/sound better? I took the bike for the maiden voyage last night, before being stranded, and it sounded like a moped.
Maybe, if they aren't too long.

Sounds like an atv with no mufflers at least when idling.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Maybe, if they aren't too long.

Sounds like an atv with no mufflers at least when idling.
An ATV? hahaha... I will have to experiment. It needs some more throat to it's voice. Would a sportster exhaust work?

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
An ATV? hahaha... I will have to experiment. It needs some more throat to it's voice. Would a sportster exhaust work?
Yes, a lot of people have used Harley mufflers, maybe along with removing the goat's belly. Doc has Screamin' Beagles on his. Headpipes won't fit at all.

Fired mine up with just the goat belly, couldn't stand the thwup-thwup-thwup. Just idled it, and tried to rev but it had a huge hesitation. Had the air filters off however.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts