Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally took the motorcycle safety beginner's riding course this weekend. I can't say that really learned a whole lot because most of the exercises were things I've already done out on the road. I've been riding since February and have put about 1200 miles on the bike.

Most of it was just some extra practice on a closed course for me. Quick stops, swerving, weaving and stopping safely in a curve were about the only things I had not practiced yet. Overall though it was a good experience. :smiley_th

I am looking forward to taking the experienced rider's course in a few more months, and then I might take the sport rider's course after that.

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
Congratulations, well done! Everyone needs this course.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Congratulations from me too. Keep practicing doing everything right every time you ride. If you get to work early or come upon an empty parking, practice a U-turn or a figure 8 a couple of times. When you can drag your pegs all the way around, and still feel in control, you are turning in as small a radius as your bike will turn.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Congrats! I took the course last month. Same as you didn't really learn much but it was nice to know what I was doing was what I was supposed to be doing. The class was a blast, and I should get a discount on my insurance for taking it.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
It was a good move to take that course. You stated yourself that you learned and practiced quick stops, swerving, weaving and stopping safely in a curve. This could literally save your life one day.

Tell me a little about the sport riders course. I haven't heard about that one. Took the BRC and ERC and loved it. Interested in something more advanced.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was a good move to take that course. You stated yourself that you learned and practiced quick stops, swerving, weaving and stopping safely in a curve. This could literally save your life one day.

Tell me a little about the sport riders course. I haven't heard about that one. Took the BRC and ERC and loved it. Interested in something more advanced.
From what my instructor was telling us about it, it gets a lot more intense than the ERC. A lot more peg dragging turns, higher (40+MPH) speed quick stops, higher speed swerving and so on. I've tried looking it up but can't find it. I think the particular cycle group he's a member of gives it, not sure. But he did say that it will really test your skills and push you to the limit.

For now though, I'm gonna keep practicing and get more comfortable with myself, my bike, and what my bike and I can do together, then go take the ERC.:smiley_th

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
The MSF "sportbike" course was created...in part, at least...to address a real tragic problem amongst the young men and women of our armed forces.

Armed service personnel were coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan, buying sport bikes (naturally) and were getting killed here in the states (on their bikes) in greater numbers than those dying on active duty overseas.

To reverse this horrific trend, the military decided to do something about it.

Thus, this "sportbike" class was specifically created to train service personnel who purchased a bike how to really ride....especially for the kind of bike they were gravitating to.

This class has been taught to those in the military for at least a little while now.

The other good news is that this class will now be offered to those of us who aren't in the military......:rockon:

I'd look for the class to be made widely available to the public sometime next year, though....not much, until then.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The MSF "sportbike" course was created...in part, at least...to address a real tragic problem amongst the young men and women of our armed forces.
You are correct about the "sportbike" A.K.A. "crotchrocket" course, but that is not the course my instructor was telling us about. :doh:

The Sport Rider Course he was talking about, is the next step beyond the ERC as this course is not exactly motorcycle type specific, meaning that, just like the ERC, you can take this course on your own street cruiser, sport, touring or standard motorcycle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts