Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I was talking to a guy down in Texas yesterday that has a salvage yard . southparkcycle.com I believe it was 888-952-9253 his name is Rick Ledet..he was telling me that when he gets in final drives he sells them for $350, maybe some of you from Texas know of this place and could add a comment here. Just thought it would be good to know and keep in mind, ya can't always find them for $100 on EBAY lol and still beats that $1000 at the stealership. I do not know what else he has for our bikes I was mostly interested in weighing my options for my problems.

·
Registered
277 Posts
trash, do you know of as yet if its the inards of your motor that is the problem or a bad carb problem? when you mentioned that the bill for a partial rebuild would run past $1,500 and the bike is a 93, it becomes a tough choice as whether you can fix it or start over with another bike. hope its a simple fix for you. hate to see a leather cup holder go to waste. lol

good luck with it, J

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol why u wanna buy the cup holder? its a steel at $1100.00 plus tax lol, actually the price they quoted me was 996 for cam chains and all the internal guides and gaskets plus the 10-12 hours labor @70 an hour....I have them putting on the ACCT's then checking the timing...I plan on going in there once they say it did not jump timing, talk to them and say well I already have 35 for the towing, x amount for the ACCT's, and what an hour labor? once they say yes..I'm gonna say good bill me out at that hour labor you just told me and give me my dam bike because you are not mechanics you are parts changers. I WILL get this bike going if not I will part it out AFTER finding another VN750

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
u may have better luck looking for an whole engine on ebay, then parting out that engine for the accts (rebuild them with stronger springs) and use the cam chain. u could prolly find an engine with less them 25k on it for a good price if you keep your eyes open. which just outta curiosity. I wonder how much a whole new engine costs from kawasaki. i was looking at seeing if they could send me the blue prints so that i can go through and blue print the engine. i guess i could always do that with a lightly used motor, that is just barely past break in. oh and i have faith u can get your own bike up and running. just be patient

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
When I was looking at replacing mine, I was able to find a couple on ebay for around $300 or so but shipping was prohibitive. I called Kaw and they don't offer new engines and as far as I know, no one rebuilds them for resale either.
There is a salvage yard in Beaumont Texas that handles bikes. I'm not sure if it is the one mentioned earlier.
The engine tear down is not too difficult if all you are doing is replacing chains. Just be sure to mark things as to direction they were facing and the like so you can put them back the way they were.
The mail order shops (Ron Ayers) were where I got my parts from as I wanted new. I ended up replacing the ACCTs and the gaskets and a few additional parts I destroyed tearing the bike down. (Clutch hub.)
BTW, if you end up tearing the engine down yourself, find the proper flywheel/clutch tool or substitue. That's how I ruined my clutch hub. They are made of very soft aluminum. Kaw wants exorbatent amounts for theirs ($70) but I found one on Ron Ayers website for about 1/4 that. (http://www.ronayers.com/catalogs/pu/parts.cfm?topsecid=3&subsecid=28&secid=105&type=615) You can make your own from a set of Vise Grip welding clamps by drilling out a couple of holes in the clamp arms and tapping the holes to receive a bolt that then acts as the hold mechanism. They work!! I can post a picture later if you want. The only other tool you may need is the proper size bolt to pull the rotor. I also found the Clymer's manual to better document the disassembly procedure than the Kaw manual.
Hope this is not too long and that you are back on the road soon.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Jim yes the place in Beaumont is the place I mentioned earlier, I am debating on tearing it down myself (which would be a royal PIA because in an apartment) or tearing it down and parting it out. waiting for the tensioners to come in then take it from there...posting the pics would be good even if not for me then for anyone else that needs the reference. today makes 1 week with no ride AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
I live in an apt too.... here is what i did. i drained the engine and let it drip till i got all i could get out. then i plugged the holes with those shop towels you can get from any auto parts store, u know the blue ones. then u can move it to where you want to (i recomend the balcony, but any place without carpet will work). Line the floor with cardboard, and keep a few shop towels around to clean up any remaining oil that leaks from the engine while u tear her down. I've found having the engine outta the bike it was alot easier and faster to work on. Just keep in mind when tourqing on it that the engine is loose, and could fall over, but that is easily avoided with the right precations.

also if you dont have any area without carpet, you can line the floor with a few sheets of plywood to give you a work area, then line that with a painters tarp, then put down your cardboard. as an extra precaution, i would also suggest having kitty litter to catch any oil spills immediatly before they run to the carpet if they are a sizeable spill.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have a porch, I live in an older 4 family house and my apt is in the back. I have an area on there that I could make work. I thought about the dining room table (its got a 3/4" granite top) but the wife said "very funny" I know better I let her think I was joking lol. I am now leaning towards doing the job myself, just gotta get the bike back from the shop

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
That a way!!! Dont give up. Then you can say ha! i did it when she runs just like she was brand new. while ur at it, if your planning any other mods, now would be the time to do it, I.E. toc cover, new plugs ect.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Go for it!!! The satisfaction of getting the bike running again is indescribable. BTW, JR Allas has a website that details some of the pitfalls and gotchas in pulling the engine. It is well worth a visit there.

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
Hey Trashman !!! I just completed the engine pull and it ain't as tough as you might think. Even though I do have a garage I still needed a place to
store the removed parts. (hint) keep a separate container for each specific
area of the engine as you remove the parts...... But if ya just take your time
it'll all come together. It took me about four hours to remove the engine..
most time consuming was getting it out of the frame...you'll want to remove the metal hose fitting on the top of the rear head and have a hydraulic jack
to move the motor around. Just use that good ol' Yankee ingenuity and you'll succeed. We're here for ya brother !!!!

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Hey Trash! How's the ACCT thing coming? We haven't heard from you about the situation in a while.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cegodsey said:
Hey Trash! How's the ACCT thing coming? We haven't heard from you about the situation in a while.
Hey Cegodsey, I took the bike back from the dealer last week and don't ask me why but as soon as I got it home I installed my memphis shades demon windshield to it. My step daughter asked me if she could sit on the bike while I was finishing tightening it down ( of course I said yes) after getting it all tight I told her to slide back so I could get on and see how it looked. then it just came over me....start her up and go....slapping popping and all, but the kid loved the ride reguardless, wife was a little mad, when we walked thru the door she said "bitch I haven't even been on it yet, you rode before me" lol I have off today from work if it turns out nice I am going to start the motor pull. I'm not going to rush it. I didn't want to start it with my head not str8.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
You need to change your sig.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Give a call to Rancho Motorcycle recycling.

http://www.ranchomotorcycle.com/

They have a ton of Vn750 parts and i do believe an motor or two for sale.

Tell um scrappy sent ya.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts