Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered some parts Friday (volt meter, fork seals, swing arm cap) and they should be here today. Gotta love Bike Bandit (and Dennis Kirk) they don't mess around with shipping.

Mother Nature has made sure we can't ride by throwing a bunch of snow, so I guess garage therapy is the only way to get bike time for now, but I'll take it regardless.

Just need to hit the auto parts store for some peripheral stuff, including fork oil, and next week I'm going to order a fork brace (with the tube protectors to help extend seal life) and a new front tire.

And that'll wrap up all the work/repair/improvements this bike needs due to neglect by PO's. :smiley_th

·
Registered
950 Posts
are you replacing the fork springs since you are half way there?

·
Registered
950 Posts
I KNOW, I'm full of them. Maybe the better question would have been, Why aren't you replacing the fork springs since you are half way there?

Heres another good question. If you are doing progressive springs, not the lowering one, do you need to use a heavier weight oil then you would with stock. I saw the chart say to use 15w if you are over 185. Im 175 in the nude, 200 with all my gear, then throw on my 110lb wife, in the nude (how she should be anyhow). So even if I went with progressive would I still want 15w or would the lighter oil be okay?

·
Super Moderator
11,966 Posts
I weigh less and went with 15w Bel Ray fork oil. This is the suggested oil to use by OWNERS .... not Progressive.

Note here that there is no "standard" when it comes to fork oil, so Billy's Fork oil even though it says 15w may not be anything close to Bel-Ray 15w....and Bel Ray is what I and others have used with good results.

And most used 7 1/4 inch lengths on the spacers for preload.

KM

·
Registered
950 Posts
What about oil weight in the rear shocks. Go with the 15w there also?

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, the Kury VM is much smaller than I expected; 1.75" x 1.00" and there's no way somebody could see the little numbers printed on the front, so it's a good thing the LED's are colored to let you know what zone the system is in.

I don't know why I thought it'd be about 2.5" long and was wondering where I might put the thing, but small as it is sure opens up the location choices.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts