Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday afternoon I was riding home from work when all of a sudden something fell from the front of my bike. It fell down and hit my left foot before shooting off to who knows where. My feet were on my highway pegs, so it must have come from up front somewhere. I pulled over at the next available spot to try and figure out what that was. After looking over the bike pretty good I found that what had fallen was the left fork cap. So, I walked back to the drop point and searched for an hour. I found all kinds of stuff but no cap.
When I returned to the bike I checked the right one out. It was so loose it tuned 2-3 times back in. I guess I'm lucky I didn't lose both! I realize it's just a cap but I am bummed. I feel like it's my fault and it should not have happened. The bike was kept in a heated basement for 13 years so it looks pristine. I buy it and starts fallin' apart! Anyway, does anyone have a spare they don't need?
I think I'll put a dab of locktite on them so it doesn't happen again. Are there any other parts that I should be gluing down?

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
motor mount nuts, LOL I lost the rear top goin down the road and had to hold on to the bolt for 12 miles till I got to a hardware store. I'd rather lose a cap any day, make sure they are snug. I recently lost a nut holding on my muffler and also two screws out of my extended backrest. my darn bike thinks its a Harley!!!!!!!!

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
motor mount nuts, LOL I lost the rear top goin down the road and had to hold on to the bolt for 12 miles till I got to a hardware store. I'd rather lose a cap any day, make sure they are snug. I recently lost a nut holding on my muffler and also two screws out of my extended backrest. my darn bike thinks its a Harley!!!!!!!!

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15724&page=3

a guy i use to work with told me when i got my vulcan that locktite is your friend he owns HD's and said he lost a bunch of parts from the things ratteling apart .. i spit my pop out of my noise when he said that with a straight face

:beerchug:

i lost one bolt that holds my seat on ( i just put them in there snug with my hand) and the left bolt for my tank the rt side was loose and the whole tank was ratteling around i thought my eyes were playing tricks on me till i seen the bolt missing and the other almost ready to fall off

when i did the tires and brakes i torqued them down rode around then re torqued everything again . then after 300 miles i re re torqued it down again... i sure dont want to loose a wheel or caliper lol

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
When a part falls off a Vulcan, y'all want to blame a Harley, aint that kinda like Obonga still blaming Bush???...lol...:beerchug:...
Do I suspect bad vibes here...??? Please don't, I get enough as it is...:rockon:...
The devil made me say that...lol... Just don't forget your friend, ole blue...lol...
Seriously, that fork cap should not have just popped off, it must have been left loose, I think if you thightened them down you shouldn't need the Loc-tite...IMHO...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
And use a dab of clear silicone on the swingarm caps, not loctite.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Check the four bolts holding the front fender on. I found I only had three; fortunately my scrounge bucket had an exact match.

While you're at it, check the bolt on the sidestand. Mine was WAY loose.

That's when I learned to periodically check EVERY fastener on the bike, and if I'd just bought a bike I'd do that right away.

Happy riding!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Also, some silicone on the nut for the toolbox lock.
MANY here have lost that as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts