Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm sitting a work at work yesterday and get a call from the house. Wanting to know if a piece of metal they found in the driveway belonged to the bike. First thought was, it stopped ok, so it's not brakes. It ran ok, so it's not that. Wonder what it could be?

I park up in the driveway, but roll down to the sidewalk to start it. Loud as it is, it's worse when it's running next to the toyhauler.

Well after sitting here for an hour, with the worst case scenario going through my mind, someone finally called back and had the piece in there hand and could describe it to me.

Swing arm cap. (sigh of relief)

Already had one missing when I bought it, but thanks to AJ, got a set cheaper than the dealer. But I am glad it fell off in the driveway.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Well, I'm sitting a work at work yesterday and get a call from the house. Wanting to know if a piece of metal they found in the driveway belonged to the bike. First thought was, it stopped ok, so it's not brakes. It ran ok, so it's not that. Wonder what it could be?

I park up in the driveway, but roll down to the sidewalk to start it. Loud as it is, it's worse when it's running next to the toyhauler.

Well after sitting here for an hour, with the worst case scenario going through my mind, someone finally called back and had the piece in there hand and could describe it to me.

Swing arm cap. (sigh of relief)

Already had one missing when I bought it, but thanks to AJ, got a set cheaper than the dealer. But I am glad it fell off in the driveway.
Forgive me as I am laughing as I am typing, damn good thing it was just the cap. For a minute I thought you were on a Harley. LOL A little clear silicone will take care of that. :smiley_th

·
Registered
738 Posts
Forgive me as I am laughing as I am typing, damn good thing it was just the cap. For a minute I thought you were on a Harley. LOL A little clear silicone will take care of that. :smiley_th
I browsed the maintenance postings on this forum before and after I purchased my VN750 last year and found the warning to silicone the swing arm caps on as well as the lock assembly for the tool trunk. Apparently both are frequently lost on the road.

With silicone in hand I marched to the garage and sure enough the swing arm caps popped right off with very little, really no, resistance. The trunk lock assembly look pretty tight, but I dabbed that with silicone just to be safe. Thanks to this forum I will not loose mine.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I lost a swingarm cap and toolbox lock before I found out how typical it is for them to vanish (for me, both were on a ride over 100 miles from home :()
Luckily, I found a swingarm cap from a member here, and ended up replacing the entire toolbox with a tiny backpack.
Still haven't put the swingarm caps back on yet though.

Glad ya only lost your cap in the driveway, Scooter!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did silicon the one I had originally replaced. I guess this was just a reminder I forgot to do the other side.

Bad thing about having the spare, is having to remember where I put it.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
I did silicon the one I had originally replaced. I guess this was just a reminder I forgot to do the other side.

Bad thing about having the spare, is having to remember where I put it.
I do that all the time , I will put something where I wont loose it then forget where I put it! lol:doh:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The worst part is the rant I go on cause I can't find what I'm looking for, I usually look down and it's in front of me.

·
Super Moderator
11,864 Posts
Kinda funny...I knew exactly what "fell off" before I even read this thread. ..as it is the one part that will fall off if nothing is done to prevent it. (locks never seem to get lost in driveways, but are identifiable as locks)

Another warning for those that have not secured theirs yet...they seem to fall off in cold weather alot.

KM

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I guess I can relate to them. It was cold enough that morning I almost froze something off myself.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Kinda funny...I knew exactly what "fell off" before I even read this thread. ..as it is the one part that will fall off if nothing is done to prevent it. (locks never seem to get lost in driveways, but are identifiable as locks)

Another warning for those that have not secured theirs yet...they seem to fall off in cold weather alot.

KM

that's right!! i removed mine and will wait for the spring to put them back on ...winter is no good...but i guess i could use the silicon trick :beerchug:

:rockon:

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts