Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode Rosie to a work meeting today and when I got out I almost had an accident in the parking lot because with the bars straight she turned left! I pulled over and looked and the front wheel is definitely no longer aligned to the bars. There's no sign of damage beyond that, no scratches or dents, she rides straight and smooth as long as I don't try to straighten the bars while moving. I'm thinking of loosening the fork brace and trying to straighten it back out. Will it work? anyone done this before?

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Its been done and will work as long as nothing is bent. Good luck and good job staying in control.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
make sure to use a torque wrench on all the tripple tree bolts....

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It worked. I loosened the fork brace on both sides, then the brace on top f the triple tree. The tubes wanted to drop down at that point so I pushed them up and tightened the top with the help of a second person. Then I stood in front and he'd the whel with my knees and pushed the handlebars with my hands to straighten it, then tightened the lower brace again. Took it around the block and it feels much straighter now. I think I stripped the fork tube caps though. :(

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
It worked. I loosened the fork brace on both sides, then the brace on top f the triple tree. The tubes wanted to drop down at that point so I pushed them up and tightened the top with the help of a second person. Then I stood in front and he'd the whel with my knees and pushed the handlebars with my hands to straighten it, then tightened the lower brace again. Took it around the block and it feels much straighter now. I think I stripped the fork tube caps though. :(
make sure to use a torque wrench on all the tripple tree bolts....
no mention of a torque wrench...... ?

WilliamTech

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I think I stripped the fork tube caps though.
Thet dint actually strip, but because are slotted plastic, when overtightened, the slots widen and dont go back....easy fix is to slightly coat the bolthead/or schrader valve threads with a little silicone seal, then replace until they just touch...or if you have cement for plastic models, dab some on the threads of the cap, with a lil light oil on the bolt threads...replace, and the glue will mold new threads....

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

no mention of a torque wrench...... ?

WilliamTech
I couldn't find torque values for those bolts in my Clymers book so I tightened them by feel to the approximate tightness I found them. If anyone has the values please share and I will set the torque accordingly.

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thet dint actually strip, but because are slotted plastic, when overtightened, the slots widen and dont go back....easy fix is to slightly coat the bolthead/or schrader valve threads with a little silicone seal, then replace until they just touch...or if you have cement for plastic models, dab some on the threads of the cap, with a lil light oil on the bolt threads...replace, and the glue will mold new threads....
I used some clear bathtub caulk. I think it's the same stuff I used on the swingarm pivot caps.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...that'll work...I mean, unless ya have air valves, yer rarely gonna remove anyway...

Torque specs are : 14.5 ft/lbs for the top bolts
18 ft/lbs for the lowers
29 ft/lbs on the main center

Diagram and specs are on 13-2 "Steering" , btw...bet you were lookin under forks...

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep. I found it, but in section 10; 13 is "Frame" in my book. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts