Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.. I was wondering if side panel covers from a 1986 vulcan 750 will fit my 1989 vulcan 750...its the battery cover

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Theyre all the same....Japs do that a lot....come to think of it, Chevy did too, lol....only diffs will be color and emblems....but all should be bolt ons....

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Hey all.. I was wondering if side panel covers from a 1986 vulcan 750 will fit my 1989 vulcan 750...its the battery cover
Side panel/battery cover? On a Vulcan 750? My battery is under the seat and I thought that was the only stock location for batteries on this particular model. The side panels cover other things I believe like a junction box......Maybe I am wrong on that or misreading something in the original post.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Vulcan2000 you are correct. I have 2 of them and they are both under the seat. I assume he was suggesting he could see the battery but you definitely could not pull it from either side.

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
yea, battery under seat. right side cover will give access to positive post for jumpstarting or charging the battery if you are careful. Maybe it just gives access to the positive cable that goes from battery to solenoid, for jumps/charging. not sure, I have never had to jump mine, and mine does not need a charger hooked up when not riding it.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
yea, battery under seat. right side cover will give access to positive post for jumpstarting or charging the battery if you are careful. Maybe it just gives access to the positive cable that goes from battery to solenoid, for jumps/charging. not sure, I have never had to jump mine, and mine does not need a charger hooked up when not riding it.
OK that makes some sense to me. I never had to jump mine like that either. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I have had to jumpstart mine quite a few times. But I don't remove the sidecovers. I remove the seat. I ride it without the seat bolts. The extended backrest pad holds the seat in place nicely.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I did the intelligent thing and installed a copper bolt to my left sidecover, connected directly to the (+) of my battery with a heavy gauge wire...

No need to remove the seat to jump or charge anymore...and being in colder climes, I keep my bike on a maintainer during the winter...prettier too than having a plug hanging....been like that now fer 2 yrs w/o issues....helps too when yer on the road, and need a jump..."excuse me and please wait until I take my seat off"... lolol BANG and yer jumped....no brainer....i cap the copper bolt with a rubber nipple....(Yes Doc...he said nipple, lol)....

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I did the intelligent thing and installed a copper bolt to my left sidecover, connected directly to the (+) of my battery with a heavy gauge wire...

No need to remove the seat to jump or charge anymore...and being in colder climes, I keep my bike on a maintainer during the winter...prettier too than having a plug hanging....been like that now fer 2 yrs w/o issues....helps too when yer on the road, and need a jump..."excuse me and please wait until I take my seat off"... lolol BANG and yer jumped....no brainer....i cap the copper bolt with a rubber nipple....(Yes Doc...he said nipple, lol)....
Even with an AGM Battery, last year, I performed the same, ....but w/o rubber nipple.
WTG !
:smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Thanks Bil....I mean, its a no brainer, especially with these bikes once theyre older than say 1990.....its a cheap and easy mod.....no takin the damned tool box off, then the seat....ya just hook up and go.....when my rectifier was messin up, was a few times I was thankful for the mod I made...sealed all inside with silicone to prevent a possible short, and all was fine....

I got a real cam now...Im gonna take some pics of mine and post in the Builds section....more should consider it....

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
My seat comes off literally in 2 seconds.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Nipples ...

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts