Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Lebanon, NJ
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I removed all the emblems from my bike, just wanted to personalize it a bit, I guess. Was really easy to remove them too. Anyway, I was thinking that black painted side covers would look nice on this 2000 model (grey/teal) for lack of a better color guess. So, should I rough up the paint first before spaying (spray cans).? I'm not to sure if semi-gloss or high gloss black is in order though.

All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah, I would definately suggest sanding it up first. Also, my vote would be for the gloss as opposed to the semi-gloss. You may want to do a clear coat as well. Post the pics when you're done, I would love to see how it turns out. Good luck!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Sand AND clean well. Not really rough sandpaper though. I'm not in the paint biz, but I'd guess something like 400 or 500 grit should work.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Those look great! The OEMs on the '01 are black - I thought I'd miss the chrome, but I rather like the look.

Couldn't help but notice all the reflectors (white) that you've got on the sides of your bike. Did you just pick up a bunch at an auto parts store? Also, how'd you get 'em to stay on your bags?

·
Lebanon, NJ
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks, no white reflective tape on the bike. It's '3M Scotchlite Plus 680 Series Reflective Sheeting with Controltac Adhesive' Black as midnight and can't be seen on any of the black where I put it. I just cut strips etc. and applied where I thought it would be seen.

Got it here: http://www.bikerhiway.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=79

Hell of a product...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Good looking bike. My 86 is burgandy, and the side covers match it. But I'd like to paint my whole bike black, crome, handlebars, forks, pipes, everythng.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts