Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have stripped, primed, and now painted a couple of parts (side covers and rear fender). I am NOT a painter. Using all Duplicolor products.

The finish is not "even" and I know there are steps to take after applying the paint.

I could use a quick text lesson if someone can do it.

Thanks!!!!!!

Jon

·
Registered
335 Posts
here is the quickie explanation you requested,

Since you have already primed, wet sand primer with 800 grit paper, wash with a prep solvent/degreaser, allow to dry then spray 2-3 coats (Depending on the color of primer and coating ability of paint) of the base coat to mfr specs, wipe down with a tack cloth to remove dust, apply atleast 3 coats of clear to mfr specs, if clear coat is sandable wet sand lightly (After it has cured, label will tell you when you can sand it. You should be able to sand it with in 24 hours) with 2000 grit paper to remove orange peel then use a fine cut compound to buff to a shine. I would recomend you buff by hand so you do not burn you fresh paint.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here is the quickie explanation you requested,

Since you have already primed, wet sand primer with 800 grit paper, wash with a prep solvent/degreaser, allow to dry then spray 2-3 coats (Depending on the color of primer and coating ability of paint) of the base coat to mfr specs, wipe down with a tack cloth to remove dust, apply atleast 3 coats of clear to mfr specs, if clear coat is sandable wet sand lightly (After it has cured, label will tell you when you can sand it. You should be able to sand it with in 24 hours) with 2000 grit paper to remove orange peel then use a fine cut compound to buff to a shine. I would recomend you buff by hand so you do not burn you fresh paint.
This is great, thanks!

Do not sand the paint, wait until after the cc is cured?

Jon

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
you can wet sand the color coat with 2000 grit alwas wet sand paint or primer not dry

·
Registered
335 Posts
Correct always wet sand. Wet sannding give you a smoother surface by washing away the removed particals. Some single stage paints can be sanded then buffed read the info on the can. If you are going to apply the clear coat the same day you do not need to sand the color coat. The tack cloth just removes dust and over spray.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts