Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after long debate and looking at some of the older bikes, i am starting to grow fond of the "painted" rims and looks like "painted" engine block. Now is this tarnish, or is it really paint?

2nd, i am looking at making some custom pipes, like in the next year or 2. i cant tell very well with the heat shield, but header paint should paint the pipes well right? I figure it will be cheaper than chrome, and will give more of a dragster look. plus its easier to keep clean and gives a unique look :p

any comments on this?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hizzo3 said:
after long debate and looking at some of the older bikes, i am starting to grow fond of the "painted" rims and looks like "painted" engine block. Now is this tarnish, or is it really paint?

2nd, i am looking at making some custom pipes, like in the next year or 2. i cant tell very well with the heat shield, but header paint should paint the pipes well right? I figure it will be cheaper than chrome, and will give more of a dragster look. plus its easier to keep clean and gives a unique look :p

any comments on this?
hi Hizzo3,

instead of painting the pipes what about wrapping them with colored heat shield wrap. givesthe bike an "attitude" look. just a thought
just ride, john

·
Registered
33 Posts
be4 I installed my new MAC exhaust I tore apart my original pipes and customized them I used 1200degree heat paint I kept the choke on for a bit too long warming the bike up be4 my ride and the heat paint bubbled on me. Not sure why maybe the product of choice wasnt a good one, however I dont think the engine got that hot because my fan didnt kick on and the guage was at a norm. the heat paint I got was a ceramic coat, Maybe a combination of this paint and the heat wrap would be good!

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did you make sure u roughed up the surface... to me it sounds like the paint didnt get a good bond on the metal. what brand were you using, not all are made the same.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I agree w/ Hizzo on needing to rough them up good first.
Chrome isn't something that accepts paint very well.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
I almost replied the same, but it occurred to me that our pipes aren't chrome. Just the covers. So it couldn't have been the slippery chrome making the paint bubble. Also, the choke causes more fuel, and less O2, so the burn should actually be cooler. Sounds like cheap paint, maybe?

·
Geek
872 Posts
The right side head pipe is chrome.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Oh yeah. I didn't get to ride it yesterday or today because I'm picking up an extra leg, arm, and spine for Hallow's Eve. At 500 bucks a pop, I figured it would be better to throw them in my car than to take the chance of losing them from the bike. But it would be funny to be driving down the road with a hand and foot sticking out of the bags...

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
even with the shields, you could almost rub the paint off of chrome..... try roughing it up with some good 600 grit sand paper, then switch to 800-1200 before paint... and it should hold good.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Back in the late '70s, when I had my Honda Twinstar, I decided one day to paint the fender. Fenders back then were chrome. I used my airbrush and came up with some really cool stripe patterns - they crossed each other and were 3D. That lasted until the temp dropped down to 14 degrees. Apparently chrome contracts differently than steel. I came out to it (it stayed on the porch) to get ready for school, and found little spirals of colorful paint all over the porch, and nothing but a well sanded fender on the bike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
cegodsey said:
Back in the late '70s, when I had my Honda Twinstar, I decided one day to paint the fender. Fenders back then were chrome. I used my airbrush and came up with some really cool stripe patterns - they crossed each other and were 3D. That lasted until the temp dropped down to 14 degrees. Apparently chrome contracts differently than steel. I came out to it (it stayed on the porch) to get ready for school, and found little spirals of colorful paint all over the porch, and nothing but a well sanded fender on the bike.

I have a 78 185 Twinstar with a mysterious and unimportant electrical problem. I traded a 4 speed Saginaw trans for it, rode it for four months, then built another CB550 when it crapped.

It was neat looking, but tiny.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Well if it had a red cubed jello looking paint job, then it was mine. Probly not. It wasn't so tiny back in the day. A LOT of people thought it was a bigger bike, perhaps a Harley, because of the tear drop tank, pulled back handlebars, and stepped seat. That was Honda's first dip into the custom look, all the other bikes at the time looked like your avatar. I put a tall sissy bar on it, back when sissy bars weren't model specific. Top speed was 67, down a hill (I lost my license that way - federal property, and I was 16).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts