Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I finally had room in the shed to set up my painting/tare down station the other day so I'm starting the process of painting Saya. I've researched it A LOT and decided to go with Plasti-Dip which if done right will turn out pretty damn good from what I've read, watched and seen. Even though it isn't needed with Plasti-Dip I've decided to strip and sand her down to bare metal and lay some primer down before dipping. Come to find out half the tank has been bondoed, and there is NOT A SINGLE dent in the tank.... Primer>Bondo>Primer>bondo>Primer>bondo>Primer is the layers on half the tank :BLAM:... I've had a fun time trying to strip and sand this all down to metal.... Been at it for a total of 10 hours or so using 220 grit paper and im still not done... and just now I decided to go out and buy and electric sander since my arm is killing me and hopefully that will speed this along. Will be posting pics of my progress as i go.

So did a bit more sanding, down to the point where the remaining bondo/primer is even with the metal, no change in level when you run your hand over it, but i did find that there is in fact one small dent, good thing i have more bondo!!!!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
If you are going to all of that trouble to prep everything why in the world would you cheap out and plastidip it? If you want a matte finish, get some automotive grade matte paint and do it right. How does platisdip stand up to fuel splashing on it? And how hard is it to clean off bug guts from a plastidip finish?

In my opinion, if you wanted to plastidip to see if you liked the look, you should just spray it over what you have. Then you can peel it off if you don't like it and not have bare metal left.

But regardless, definitely show us some pics. :D

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Plasti-Dip has always been interesting but I have seen a few jobs where dirt and road grime get embedded into the "plasti" and is impossible to clean. Maybe it had been applied wrong. I wish you more success and I am looking forward to your pictures and overall review after completion. Let us know how it works out as I stated above it is interesting. Good luck.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If you are going to all of that trouble to prep everything why in the world would you cheap out and plastidip it? If you want a matte finish, get some automotive grade matte paint and do it right. How does platisdip stand up to fuel splashing on it? And how hard is it to clean off bug guts from a plastidip finish?

In my opinion, if you wanted to plastidip to see if you liked the look, you should just spray it over what you have. Then you can peel it off if you don't like it and not have bare metal left.

But regardless, definitely show us some pics. :D
I'm going with plasti-dip becuase i've done alot of research on it and if done properly will look great and hold up, and if i want, i can go back and change it whenever i want for less than a night of partying. I've already done the side covers and i liked the way they turned out, and im going through all the trouble of prepping it because the current paint job is a pretty ****ty one and the imperfections in the current paint job will show if i just slap on some dip. I wanted a cheap yet effective and good looking paint job and from all my research on the matter, plasti-dip will do wonders if done properly, and thats the key word, properly. Also going to be laying down a few primer coats(properly priming it, not just slapping on a few layers and calling it good) for better bond with the dip and if i ever wanted i can peel of the dip and put an actual paint job on it without the need of going through all the prep again, i'm thinking of what i want right now, and what i may want in the future. hahaha

and about the cleaning, once it is cured you can take up to an 1800PSI power washer to do and blast the hell out of it and make it look like you just got finished dipping it. Cleaning isn't that much of an issue once it has about a week or two to set in and cure, as for the gas splashing, i am guessing it will act like any other paint job that doesn't have a fuel protection coat/UV treatment, but im always EXTREMELY careful when filling her up and am quick to clean any fuel that gets on the tank which is almost never lol.

Attachments

·
Overkill? Whats that?
374 Posts
Fuel will just straight melt the plastidip. So will wd40. Just buy flat black. Engine paint.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I actually like plasti dip. If you really want you can always clear coat over it. It will still be removable just really really time consuming. I'm actually going to dip my Trans am when I save up enough for a few gallons and a sprayer for it. There are so many additional products that can be used with plasti dip you can get a super wide variety of finishes. There are top coats available to add protection and change the gloss level too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Friend of mine used it on his titan chopper w/ them hydro dip decals on top and then a couple coats of clear. Looked real good for a couple of months and then started to peel around tank inlet. says he never spilled a drop. Good luck and keep us updated

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually like plasti dip. If you really want you can always clear coat over it. It will still be removable just really really time consuming. I'm actually going to dip my Trans am when I save up enough for a few gallons and a sprayer for it. There are so many additional products that can be used with plasti dip you can get a super wide variety of finishes. There are top coats available to add protection and change the gloss level too.
if you mean a gloss clear, then use the glossifyer developed specifically for plastidip, it wont make the dip chip off when you want to remove it, it will peel right off in a nice sheet just like normal.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
if you mean a gloss clear, then use the glossifyer developed specifically for plastidip, it wont make the dip chip off when you want to remove it, it will peel right off in a nice sheet just like normal.
Nope I was referring to using a fuel resistant clear coat over the dip. I plan on using pearlizer on mine. Going with a pearl gunmetal gray and flat black. I probably won't put any topcoat over mine, at least not right away.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope I was referring to using a fuel resistant clear coat over the dip. I plan on using pearlizer on mine. Going with a pearl gunmetal gray and flat black. I probably won't put any topcoat over mine, at least not right away.
I was reading about the peralizers on dipyourcar.com that is just amazing that they've found a way to do all that **** with plastidip. They even have chameleon perals for plastidip, im not a fan of chameleon but its still neat they were able to do it with dip lol.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got the tank done, turned out rather nicely a few spots turned out a little "meh...." but luckily where those spots are its a non issue. Got the fenders off and ready to do those today.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Please clear coat it!

I did my car in Plastidip, and it starts out lookin real nice,
but it goes to heck real fast. Learn from my mistake.

I wont say dont use dip, but if youre gonna dip it, Clear it after.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Please clear coat it!

Do you mind explaining what happened that made it look bad. Been thinking of a doing a plastidip paint job myself and would like to know what to expect or look for.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Please clear coat it!

I would clear coat it, but plasti-dip only offers a gloss clear coat, and i dont want a gloss and any other regular type of clear coat, be it gloss or not when i want to remove the dip it will just come off in small flakes and turn a 2 minute job into a 2 hour job and im not down on all that, so for now i'll leave it how it is and see how it turns out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Please clear coat it!

Do you mind explaining what happened that made it look bad. Been thinking of a doing a plastidip paint job myself and would like to know what to expect or look for.
It faded really bad. Nowadays it looks like its got a white film over the black that needs to be washed off, but its like that permanently. The dip itself adhered to the car surprisingly well, and hasnt peeled or anything except in one or two areas where something actually scraped against it, but the color has gone to heck. It just looks dirty all the time, and also water spots show up like crazy. If you wash it or leave it parked outside and the dew sets it and you dont towel off the whole car its just waterspotsville all over.

I would think that if you used an acrylic clear coat it would probably peel off pretty easily still. An enamel would probably chip and be frustrating though. I would suggest an acrylic clear coat and then in the future if you are struggling when trying to peel it off just hit it with some jasco and a brush.

Just my two cents though. I dont mean to bark out orders i just wanted to share my experience.

·
Overkill? Whats that?
374 Posts
I've experimented with using plasti dip as a base, as long as you don't go heavy on the clear / color and stick with acrylic it will peel as normal. But you do have to walk a fine line on how heavy / light you can go. . .

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Took some time lastnight to do the earshave aswell, and lucky me i have the wrong pod filters!!!! Ordered them through the only actual bike shop in this area, gave them the item number of the ones listed on the ear shave tutorial(RC2340) and when he looked it up in his system he said K&N isn't showing those filters but some other item number came up, we both figured they had changed the item number from the RC2340 so i said go ahead and order them, a month later when i do the ear shave, i finally open them up and find out they are the wrong filters.... So i said **** it and ordered some $10 Emgo 54mm pod filters that i saw someone on here use. "Synced" the butterfly valves by eye using one of the "old school" methods that i was told about, though will probably make a manometer just to be on the safe side. Pretty much the only thing missing on the ear shave is the pod filters and some 3/8 fuel hose for the crank case filter. Carb vent hoses are connected to nothing, guess the previous owner or the original owner at one point in time disconnected the carb vent to the surge tank and tucked the surge tank hose under the radiator, sticking out next to the starter, vent hoses on the carbs are just a few inches long sticking up. From what i've read a vent filter is not needed so i'll just leave it how it is but still bolt on the crank case filter that was supposed to be for the carbs just for appearance sake. Also the previous owner must have cleaned or had someone clean the carbs shortly before he decided to sell it, damn near everything was spotless inside them, the jet area was a bit dirty but not bad everything else especially the float bowls, floats, and float needles were spotless.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It faded really bad. Nowadays it looks like its got a white film over the black that needs to be washed off, but its like that permanently. The dip itself adhered to the car surprisingly well, and hasnt peeled or anything except in one or two areas where something actually scraped against it, but the color has gone to heck. It just looks dirty all the time, and also water spots show up like crazy. If you wash it or leave it parked outside and the dew sets it and you dont towel off the whole car its just waterspotsville all over.

I would think that if you used an acrylic clear coat it would probably peel off pretty easily still. An enamel would probably chip and be frustrating though. I would suggest an acrylic clear coat and then in the future if you are struggling when trying to peel it off just hit it with some jasco and a brush.

Just my two cents though. I dont mean to bark out orders i just wanted to share my experience.
How long have you had the paint job on there before it started to noticeably fade?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts