Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since my bike doesnt seem to be selling i was thinking of painting the chrome pieces black for a different look.

pipes i can wrap in muff tape, front forks i can probably find black boots for...

the rest... any suggestions for painting chrome?

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
My suggestion would be leave it chrome. If I were a buyer and heard there was chrome under all that black I'd be like, "Wait what?" I'd sooner lower the price than ruin my chrome. Just me though...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i understand, the only reason i would paint the chrome is if i were to keep her.

which im tempted. im not out to give away a bike. ;)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I've never had luck painting chrome, unless you take the chrome off first - very difficult and time consuming.

Kawasaki Spectre came with black chrome bars - btw.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, i think i can get similar bars to the bend i have in black.

honestly, im only looking at painting a couple items... and i think most are plastichrome. ;)

headlamp assembly and gauges
side covers
rear pass brackets
lower forks
triple and perhaps upper tubes... perhaps not
wheels.... and i think people have had good success with these...

anyhow, its just a thought at this point. worst case i guess i could sandblast them first...

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
When I had mine, I used 320 grit fine sand paper to rub off the finish then primed, then painted. It looked good, but nowhere near professional level. The fact that your bike isn't selling is due top the season, not the look. Right now is a buyer's market. Next March it will swing back the other way.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i figure as much... im just torn between selling it and keeping it and finishing my originial "vision"....

i hate selling my stuff. ;)

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
when i had mine, i used 320 grit fine sand paper to rub off the finish then primed, then painted. It looked good, but nowhere near professional level. the fact that your bike isn't selling is due top the season, not the look. Right now is a buyer's market. Next march it will swing back the other way.
x2...

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The headlight bucket for a Spectre is black if you can find one.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Most of the pieces you mentioned are plastic or aluminum. The headlight bucket other than the retaining ring, is "chrome plastic" Which means you should just be able to rough them up with 200 grit sandpaper and be good to go. (I think 320 is a bit too fine )

The forks are aluminum, but do have a clear coat finish on them that needs to be sanded off before painting. The "chrome" gauges are also plastic, I sanded mine and painted them black. Rustoleum makes an "All Surface" spray paint that works well on plastic items. I was not impressed with the Krylon Fusion for plastic.

Much of the rear chrome used to be unplated aluminum, like the whole seat rail and passenger backrest and the rear foot peg bracket. You might want to see if there is a member with an older bike that will swap out his plain aluminum pieces for your chromed ones. This will make them easier to paint for you and make a member with a non chromed bike happy.
KM

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The nice thing about the Spectre HL housing is it's metal & easy to paint w/o ruining your chrome bucket.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
i figure as much... im just torn between selling it and keeping it and finishing my originial "vision"....

i hate selling my stuff. ;)
If you sell now, you'll most likely end up getting far less than you wanted or expected, so some thought is required. I'm almost 100% certain I'm going to sell my V-Star (it just sits there now, being alone), but there's no way I'm going to sell it until next spring, so I can at least get something fair for me AND the buyer, as opposed to a really good price for the buyer and me left with a bad taste in my mouth.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
First of all, I wouldn't make any modifications like that unless I was doing a custom job for myself. Most people looking for used bikes are looking for stock bikes. I'm actually going to have my painted front fender chromed, like Japanese bikes had back in the good old days. But I will never sell this bike. I intend to ride it until there is nothing left. There is nothing out there that I want to replace it with. My next bike will probably be a used Goldwing, which I will finish out my riding life on.

I have had good luck using a Scotchbrite pad, and some kind of abrasive powder, like Ajax or Comet to prep plastic chrome, or chromed aluminum for paint. Chromed steel needs to be sandblasted. You can use a paint/rust remover wheel on a drill or die grinder, but sandblasting works much better.

By the way, winter is the time to sell a motorcycle in AZ. It is our prime riding season, but unfortunately it's pretty short. It's hard to give a bike away around here in the summer, when the temperatures are 120 degrees. Jerry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts