1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My side covers are chrome plastic.. gonna leave those Chrome...the fenders and tank I am going black with and I have a nice set of decals to put on before I clear coat.

·
Super Moderator
11,864 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what kind of stuff KM?...the new tank I have has the 1986 decals on it.. will that stuff take those off too.. or am I looking at some sanding and whatnot?

·
Banned
448 Posts
X2 to KM. :) I like the gel type because of that very reason.
You can buy a good paint stripper at any auto parts store. Myself I use aircraft stripper, it seems to be the strongest.
I use Xylene to take off decals. We used it to thin paint and to clean with.
I worked at a paint shop in Boise a few years back, and we always went to Sherwin Williams to get our stripper, but I can't remember the name of it.
As for the plastic side covers, I'm not sure if the stripper will react with them. I will have to research that.

·
Banned
448 Posts
Where did you get those decals clock? Do they have those in any other colors?
Those are nice.

·
Banned
448 Posts
Good info dusty. I wasn't sure if any kind of stripper could be used or not on the plastic. I always worked with metal in the paint shop because it was a custom shop that only worked with office furniture, and we used an electrostatic system to paint with.
I know plastic can be a bear to work with.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the side covers are chrome.. I plan to leave them that way... since I am a cheap bastered I will be doing the rattle can paint job myself too...LOL

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Hmm, I wonder if I could put my practice tank in a trash bag with some of that stuff and strip it all in one shot. Then I could practice painting, strip it, practice, strip, over and over. I'd always have a practice tank...

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm, I wonder if I could put my practice tank in a trash bag with some of that stuff and strip it all in one shot. Then I could practice painting, strip it, practice, strip, over and over. I'd always have a practice tank...
You read my mind!.. I just happen to have a crap tank!

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
I have a dumb question. If you are repainting why not just sand and paint over the existing? Like you would do with a car.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
^ Because sanding is hard work. If I can leave the tank in a bag and have this stuff do it for me, I'm going for it. Also, even with a power sander, you go through sand paper like nothing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts