Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good luck to all you PA deer hunters out there. It would be great to see a big buck tomorrow. I'll post a pic if I knock one down this week. Hope you do the same.

·
Bandito
160 Posts
Just did see this thread, guess not many other hunters on here. I have yet to even bag one, shot and missed a huge doe over the weekend. That was my fault, I went out thinking my 30/30 was still setup from last year, BIG MISTAKE! Spent yesterday sighting it in, good to go. Saturday is our last day here in MD, got 2 days in January as well.

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
You know... there are grocery stores.

·
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know, but I also know some people around here that got killed while riding and hitting a deer. I'll do my part to keep the deer population down and the roads just a little bit safer. I came within inches of hitting one 2 years ago. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
so you just hire a hit man to kill your meat huh?I 'll keep an eye out for you now msh,LOL

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
^ Yikes!

I was riding to my sisters on Thanksgiving. She lives in Lafayette Hill which is only 20 miles North of center city Philly. She lives in a neighborhood - like house after house after house, none of this wooded area stuff. I turn onto her street and see a bigass buck in the middle of the road keepin' his wits about him. I look up on sis' neighbors lawn and see mom and 2 babies (doe I guess) grazin'. Four deer in the middle of a neighborhood, one in the middle of the street. I had to stop the bike and wait for him to let me go.

Even though I don't hunt, I can't say anything because I eat them. They may be a hazzard but that doesn't that doesn't stop them from being delicious...

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
I know, but I also know some people around here that got killed while riding and hitting a deer. I'll do my part to keep the deer population down and the roads just a little bit safer. I came within inches of hitting one 2 years ago. :smiley_th
With me it is with Wild Turkeys. I see deer relatively close, but I swear another half second and a Turkey would have passed between me and my windscreen. I don't know how I missed him at all, but had it farted, it would have been in my face! :eek:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Good luck to all you PA deer hunters out there. It would be great to see a big buck tomorrow. I'll post a pic if I knock one down this week. Hope you do the same.
Hey Shark, just curious. Do you see/flush many grouse when you're out? I don't hunt big game, just birds, and Jersey is fresh out of grouse. Only wild upland birds I come across anymore are woodcock. Got myself a klr650 as a backup and I'm ready to explore the rest of the immediate planet (birds and trout the priority).

·
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Shark, just curious. Do you see/flush many grouse when you're out? I don't hunt big game, just birds, and Jersey is fresh out of grouse. Only wild upland birds I come across anymore are woodcock. Got myself a klr650 as a backup and I'm ready to explore the rest of the immediate planet (birds and trout the priority).
Birds aren't doing well here either. I think this is the 1st year I didn't see any turkeys while in archery or rifle season. Although I saw 1 grouse last week. No luck for me with a deer, but my buddy shot a coyote this morning.

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
I dont' shoot birds, but I watch them. We lost a lot of birds due to the bird flu a few years ago.
I know the Kestrel, or Sparrow Hawk, was on the verge of becoming locally extinct in Ohio, but this year I am starting to see them, again, after several years of not. I imagine game birds were hit as bad. It's too early to tell which species will recover.
Good luck with your hunting.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This kinda verifies what I have felt, that the native bird pops are all in decline. Game birds most obviouse to me since there is my interest. Lots of reasons and some only regional in scope. Coyotes were introduced into NJ to cull the deer herds. Deer doing better than ever and the coyotes, too, unfortunately. They love to eat all things including bird eggs and the birds themselves. On a positive note, turkeys have done very well in NJ.

·
Bandito
160 Posts
Last year I saw a lot of turkeys while out deer hunting, I didn't see any this year, not sure if the foxes in our area got them or if they were deeper in the woods than normal.

I did get a button buck Saturday, last day of the rifle season here in MD, not the 10 pointer I wanted to get but it was the last night and the freezer is getting empty. We have 2 more days next month for rifle again, so hopefully by then I will figure out that bucks pattern.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts