Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until I joined this forum back in 2008 I had never heard of di-electric grease or knew what it was used for. I eventually bought some and started to use it whenever electrical connections were pulled apart for whatever reason, and reconnected.

Then a year or so ago I read about another antioxidant compound that is a conductor of electricity, rather than an insulator like dielectric grease is. Naturally this restricts its use to single connectors, as it would short out multiple connectors.

I bought a 1 oz. tube of it for about $5, IIRC, and threw it in my toolbox where it has sat unused up to this point. Reading another thread just now where thtanner mentioned using dielectric grease prompted me to take another look at the packaging directions for using this Ox-Gard Anti-Oxidant Compound.

I discovered that it is intended mostly for use to "penetrate aluminum oxide to maintain inter-strand and inter-conductive paths....and produces a cooler connection.... an excellent compound for aluminum to aluminum, aluminum to copper wire connections and aluminum conduit joints."

It appears that this compound is intended more for use by those unfortunate home buyers who have one of the homes where aluminum wiring was installed 30 or 35 years ago. Maybe not much to be gained by using this stuff on copper connections, especially considering its relatively high price compared to di-electric grease, (~400% higher at my source.)

I am just curious if anyone here has ever used this stuff, and what is your opinion about it's usefulness on copper wires?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts