Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts
I just put the 110 on mine in front and I like it,I haven't changed the back one yet.:smiley_th
I changed my front tire last summer. I went with the ME880 110 and I think it was the right thing to do. for me the bike handles and feels better and that tire sticks like glue. this spring I will be raplaceing the rear tire and I will be going with the next size up!

Ok I've done some reading of posts about front tire sizes, and I guess the con of it was decreased MPG. It didn't seem like handling was the reason, people said strait line and in curves was better with the wider tire. And now that I reread those posts, it was only 2-3 mpg. Which when I think about isn't that much. But then again the tank on this bike is so small. Kinda kick myself for not doing it. But hey the Metzelers are totally better then the stock tire in any size. I guess next year I'll go with the larger size.
I got to ride it today for bout 60 miles, and wider or not in front, the handling was better and so was the ride. the inline cracks in the road were totally felt reduced.

I just oversized to the Metzeler ME880's 170/80-15 Rear and 110/90-19 in the Front. The handling is very different. The first few miles I was ready to go back to stock sizes. After 30-40 miles they feel pretty good :smiley_th. Cracks in the road that used to cause a bit of tracking don't seem to effect the bike at all anymore. Small bumps are also less bumpy. Looking forward to a longer ride soon, the sun is supposed to come out on Sunday after about a solid month of rain.

Ok I've done some reading of posts about front tire sizes, and I guess the con of it was decreased MPG. It didn't seem like handling was the reason, people said strait line and in curves was better with the wider tire. And now that I reread those posts, it was only 2-3 mpg. Which when I think about isn't that much. But then again the tank on this bike is so small. Kinda kick myself for not doing it. But hey the Metzelers are totally better then the stock tire in any size. I guess next year I'll go with the larger size.
I got to ride it today for bout 60 miles, and wider or not in front, the handling was better and so was the ride. the inline cracks in the road were totally felt reduced.
Hey Jace, the fuel economy is not really lower with the 110/90 front tire. The front tire has nothing to do with applying power to the road, only the rear tire does. The front tire is connected to the speedo drive gear though. The only difference is that the 110/90 has a larger circumference than the 100/90 does, and rotates at a slower rate at a given speed. Therefore both the speedometer and odometer will read lower than they do with the smaller tire. The speedo/odometer read high with the stock tire. The 110/90 almost corrects the numbers, so the speedo/odometer are more accurate now.

The speedo/odometer read high with the stock tire. The 110/90 almost corrects the numbers, so the speedo/odometer are more accurate now.
With my stock tires the speedo was reading slower than actual speed according to my GPS. The odometer was pretty close to the GPS.

With my new tires the speedo is almost dead-on with the GPS, but the odometer is reading higher mileage than the GPS. I'm not sure why, I assumed it should read less, as OldHoss mentions due to the larger circumference. Anyway I really like the new Metzlers. RPMs on the tach are lower too.

the one on the right looks like an old Dunlop Qualifier?

stock tire that it came with in 1985
Mine had a stock rear Dunlop on it circa 11/85. Kinda hate to throw it away.

FWIW I went to Kenda Kruz 170/80-15 and 110/90-19 on mine. They were way cheaper for whatever reason than the stock sizes too. Like 40 percent less. They sat in a box on my freshly sealed driveway all day, and the tires where HOT when I put them on. I used 3 8" spoons that were for my dirtbike, and these were the easiest to mount of any tie ever, probably due to the heat. Got em balanced for ten bucks each. The install on the bike was very easy, no fitment problems whatever.
Can't wait to ride!

Oversize front pics

I just got my ME880 110-90 tire installed tonight. It's raining (again) so I'll have to test ride it tomorrow.

Here some front 100-90 pics followed by some front 110-90 pics I took. The 110 really fills the fender now! I'll let you know how well it corrected the speedo.

And the 110-90 pics: The jack is lowered, I just couldn't be bothered to pull it out of the picture for some reason.

FYI, it looks like the speedo still reads 3mph fast with the 110/90 front. It's close enough I suppose.

FYI, it looks like the speedo still reads 3mph fast with the 110/90 front. It's close enough I suppose.
I discovered the odometer on mine shows fewer miles than actual (about 1 mile under for every 20 traveled) with the same tire. Don't have a GPS, but suspect the speedometer is doing the same.

Mine had a stock rear Dunlop on it circa 11/85. Kinda hate to throw it away.

FWIW I went to Kenda Kruz 170/80-15 and 110/90-19 on mine. They were way cheaper for whatever reason than the stock sizes too. Like 40 percent less. They sat in a box on my freshly sealed driveway all day, and the tires where HOT when I put them on. I used 3 8" spoons that were for my dirtbike, and these were the easiest to mount of any tie ever, probably due to the heat. Got em balanced for ten bucks each. The install on the bike was very easy, no fitment problems whatever.
Can't wait to ride!
Let me know how you like these kendas. I can order them through my parts vendor.

Let me know how you like these kendas. I can order them through my parts vendor.
I have almost 1000 miles on them now. All types of terrain from gravel to fresh asphalt. I have almost worn off all the little nubby things. They ride great and are as competent as any sportbike tire I have ever ridden. Zero problems. I recommend these tires.
Leaving on Sat. for the PCH.

Anyone have any good pics of the 110 tire up front? The front tire pics on this thread won't load for some reason. Just want to see how much wider than a 100 they actually look.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.