Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts
Looks like I've been running on great looking but pretty old tires. Front: DAWV M49187 (18th week of 1997/1987?). Rear: DAZF M2A119 (11th week of 1999/1989?). The bike is an '89 model with Dunlop Qualifiers. POs kept bike in a garage and they look good. No cracks at all.

Yup - those definitely need to be replaced (likely 97/99 vintage if they look good). The risk is yours though. You could probably take it out and run it around a little at moderate speeds but just make sure you're on decent roads and take it easy in the corners. I just ordered the ME880's (oversized 110/90-19 front and 170/80-15 rear) from Ron Ayers. $245 total including shipping. It'll take a week or two to get them but I have time. if you want something faster, you might be able to find them elsewhere. It's the old time vs. money dilemma.....

Ok Custom Cow :baby: :smiley_thyou can quit your bitchtin. Sorta. I got some pics. Right now its only of the stock tire and the clearances. I have to get the new tire mounted hopefully tomorrow. Plus I gotta get the spline lubed, but that shouldn't be a big deal. Heres the other thing to freak you out. I ONLY take pics in High-res. so they wont fit on here. Im putting them on facebook. My id is Eli Gaffke. I also started a private group on there for 750 people. its called "Vulcan 750 Riders"
http://tinyurl.com/ca8b54
:worthless
:smiley_th

I got mine from ron ayers too. they only took about a week. I got a place to mount them for 23 bucks

So, am guessing we just are never going to see any comparison photos here?

"I ONLY take pics in High-res."

So you lack that abiltiy? My camera lets me choose the resolution I want, from 5 mp to 10 mp. What do you consider "high res"? anyway?

lol

KM

Hi-res being 7mp. guess thats not as hi-res as your 10mp mister fancy pants. i have the choice, but I make the choice not to go any lower. If a 7mp could be turned into a 300k file maybe you would see some comparison pics on here. If ringo was still around i would use that. i dont like how flicker only allows you to post 100 mb per month. unless you pay.

Hi-res being 7mp. guess thats not as hi-res as your 10mp mister fancy pants. i have the choice, but I make the choice not to go any lower.......
My pants are not fancy and the camera is over 2 years old and just a pocket camera. You can find inexpensive pocket cameras now that are 12 mp. My freinds Nikon is 24 mp.
All of this is moot because the standard computor moniter is no more than 3 mp so I really do not know what your thinking is taking all your photos at 7mp unless you plan on printing them larger than 8X10's.

The real resolving power of a camera is the ability of the camera to capture fine detail in a scene and depends on many things such as signal to noise ratio, optics quality, focus accuracy as well as the number of pixels captured by the camera. Basicly meaning you can have a camera that says "8mp" but because of a poor lens the image will never be "high res".

Many folks somehow think the bigger the number the better the photo, which is a false concept. If you just print a 3x4 the human eye can not really tell the difference between one taken with a 10 mp setting and one taken with a 5 mp setting.
Most times you are just wasting memory using a high mp setting on your camera. Kind of like paying for a picture of beer and only drinking one glass...

The whole point here is we are talking about a photo of a tire, not trying to bring out the subtle differences in a close up of a metal flake paint job. Just about every photo editing software I have seen has some kind of re-sizing feature.I know there is free software online that does only that.

I'm just saying if it were me, I would as a favor to those intrested , even if it went against my own self imposed standared, just to be a helpfull guy , I'd post the photos here for them to see. Asking someone to join your little trendy facebook page just to see the photos is a bit douchey.

And perhaps I am mistaken , but didn't someone else already create a
webpage for sharing large files for this forum?
If someone has a link for that you can post them there if you lack the proper software to re-size your photos.
EDIT: Sorry, the site is here:
http://www.scribd.com/group/68783-kawaski-vn750-owners

But it appears to only be for text type files. ...so scratch that then....lol

KM

:notworthy I understand the whole megapixel and lens quality issue. thats why most camera phones suck. and i know that cameras have the capability to change the dpi by using the image quality setting by using fine or super fine or normal, or however that brand works. But i do know that if i took a pic at 640x480 versus 3280x2460 (or whatever is high) that when you zoom in it goes to hell very quickly. a 7mp pic can fill the screen and still look decent and see details. I dont know how to make a 7mp super fine image that starts at 3mb to bring it down to less then 300k.

when and not if, i figure out how to take the pic i have, keep the quality and get them on here i will.

also i have been avoiding facebook for awhile cuz it is douche, but there are a lot of us that are on here that are on there. So why not have a group just for us. im not inviting people to go on facebook, so i can throw snowballs at them, or invite them to a food fight. I like the ease of the picture sharing. Thats why i used to be on ringo til they went tits up. and i dont like the file space limits of flikr.
Kind of like paying for a picture of beer and only drinking one glass...
also if i had a picture of beer, i wouldnt drink any glasses, cuz they would taste like paint or ink. But now if i had a pitcher of beer. then I might use straw and tell you to get your own damn beer.:beerchug:
And its too bad your pants aren't fancy you don't what you're missing out on then. Cuz mine are silk lined and i always wear them commando.

:.... I dont know how to make a 7mp super fine image that starts at 3mb to bring it down to less then 300k.

We only talking about one or two photos right? Why don't you just send them to me and I'll post them here..

( knifemaker1954@yahoo.com )

KM

yeah deffinetly get the new tire pics up there id like to see before i shell out money for something i dont like.... nice pics anyway man

I deleted the pics of the stock tire, cuz i figured it would be better to have two posts in a row, one of the stock tire and the very next one be the new tire. I have to wait to get lube before i can mount the tire. and i had to order it off the internet, since none of the honda dealers carry it apparently.

I figured how to get my "hi-res" pics on here. Knifemaker you are right that facebook down sizes the pics. I ending up right clicking on the pics when i viewed them on there and saving them. when i did that it shrunk them in file size and kept them in the size that they appear on the facebook page and kept my quality intact. then i had to upload them on here and do the whole properties cut and paste technique to get them inline with my post. Total PIA but hey its for the greater good. I took alot of pics from multiple angles. like 10. and there will be that many more for the new tire.:doh:

Well I found the grail "Moly 60" paste. Now if the weather would cooperate a little and i could get the grease in play. the painted is the hardest part. not sure about how the final is going to turn out. i really hope by sat, it will run. gotta finish my botched RR too.

!!!photos!!!

Well I spent all day yesterday putting my bike back together. Splines lubed (They werent too bad, for a 9yr old with 12k), new speedbleeders, relocated RR, reapainted the bike, and oh yeah tires.
What I did was try to duplicate shots. So the first pic is the factory tire and the second is the new one (sized to170/80)

And here are the rest

So I guess that answers the question of wether they will fit or not. I almost think a 180 would fit then too. But I have heard that it wont fo sure.

bump. in case those who wanted to see the pics missed out.

Lookin' Good!

bump. in case those who wanted to see the pics missed out.
Thanks for the bump Jace. Tire looks great. Any pics of the front (did you oversize that as well?) and/or both together from a side shot?

Thanks.

I didn't change the front tire size. I can't remember why exactly. It had something to do with the cons of going larger in front. I think it had something to do with the way it would change the handling, that I didn't like the sound of. I'll be putting pics up in another thread http://tinyurl.com/cmhfcx and in my gallery and in the Vulcan 750 Riders group on facebook. I finished repainting it.

I didn't change the front tire size. I can't remember why exactly. It had something to do with the cons of going larger in front. I think it had something to do with the way it would change the handling, that I didn't like the sound of. I'll be putting pics up in another thread http://tinyurl.com/cmhfcx and in my gallery and in the Vulcan 750 Riders group on facebook. I finished repainting it.
I would be interested to see what you read that was negative about going up a size to a 110/90-19 on the front. Anyone who has changed up front and back, has reported only a positive response from the bike, that I have seen. I will need tires in the near future and need to decide on what to get.

I just put the 110 on mine in front and I like it,I haven't changed the back one yet.:smiley_th

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Just as a follow-up to my original post that started this thread--I'm pleased to say that the news since then is all good....:smiley_th

The bike now has over 5,000 miles on the Metzeler 880's. The increased tire sizes (front and rear) continue to produce a more confidence-inspiring, stable ride than those before...and they also give the bike a more aggressive look (without any clearance issues).

Having run the tires at the recommended pressure, both tires still have lots of tread left. Tread wear (thus far) seems to be nice and even....

In short--no regrets. It's been an upgrade for the better, with no noticeable disadvantages.

Hope this helps..... :)

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.