Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Glenn C.
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this on Craigslist
http://fargo.craigslist.org/mcd/3033770188.html

Its a sweet old 1986 vn750 with under 8k miles?! Wtf, its not even broken in?!
And they want $3199 for it.
Has windshield and F&S highway engine guards. But no rear rack.

Is that a good deal or way over priced?

I paid $3200 for my 2001 with 8900 miles on it back in 2007.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
If I was rich, I'd take it. Otherwise, way overpriced. ;)

·
Skankin' Vulcan
64 Posts
My 86 has 24k on it but it was only 1000.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Looks like it's a dealer. They are ALWAYS overpriced...

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Nice bike but still 26 years old. I would offer $1500 tops.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I suppose if someone wants this style bike and really likes it, they will pay it.
I have over payed for accessories, but then again I realize that they are no longer made and are hard to find.

Market demand sets the selling price (not the asking price)....so it is purely subjective...and in the eyes of the buyer.

If my 06 was destroyed and really I wanted a replacement VN750, I might consider paying that price for a clean bike with low miles.....but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I bought my '99 with 2100 miles on it from a dealer. They were asking $3500 and with tax, tag, etc came up to almost $4000. Yes...dealers are overpriced. I didn't pay that obviously. By the time I was through I was WELL under their original asking price and almost to the KBB value, plus they put in all new fluids, new battery, rebuilt the carbs and threw in a helmet. Not to mention I know the previous (only) owner of the bike so I knew all the history of it.

So that price may be quite high, but you can talk them down a ton I would bet. If that is really the bike you want of course.

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
If this bike is worth $3,199, then my '91 should be almost worth what I paid for it new.

... exactly ...

·
Registered
319 Posts
That is the same year as my bike but wow she's a beauty! Bought mine for $800 but this one is in pristine condition!!! Maybe $2,000 top dollar but no more!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Seems a little high. I found my 85 in a shed and it had 2900 miles on it. Bought it for $700, but I had to spend about $500 to overhaul the carbs, clean out the tank, and replace all of the fluids.

Sold it to my uncle for $1250, who put a new front tire on it, a windshield, and new turn signals. He rode it for a few years, parked it for a few years, and now I have bought it back. Just got it going last summer, and it rolled over 6,000 miles today! I love these bikes. Going on my first big trip to Arkansas in September (Bikes, blues, and bbq).

Just ordered floorboards from chadsbike.com, ordered new fork seals today, and getting a new rear tire next Tuesday.

·
Glenn C.
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I guessed it was over priced, but dam its that old, in great shape, with extremely low miles, that's gotta be damn rare.

I just can't see anyone paying over 2gs for it really.

Its located in Fargo, ND about 2 hours west of me.
My bro lives in Fargo, been looking for a cheap bike, under $1g for him, and ran across that on Craigslist.

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
Sold it to my uncle for $1250, who put a new front tire on it, a windshield, and new turn signals. He rode it for a few years, parked it for a few years, and now I have bought it back. Just got it going last summer, and it rolled over 6,000 miles today!
I think I would take a close look at replacing that front tire if it has been on the bike a while. Especially if I was planning an extended trip. Tires can get slicker as they harden over time. That front tire keeps you goin' in the right direction.

~~C8>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts