Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys use for an outside rain cover. Was looking at a Dowco Gurdian large or medium. Which one would fit better? Anyother suggestions?
Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bike Cover

I just ordered a Nelson Rigg XL for mine. Between my full size saddle bags, extended sissy bar and full size windshield I thought that I'd rather have it too large than too small.

I hope I didn't order the wrong size. It should be here Tuesday.

Michael

brianjenwaldner said:
Just wondering what you guys use for an outside rain cover. Was looking at a Dowco Gurdian large or medium. Which one would fit better? Anyother suggestions?
Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have had 2 Dowco covers in the past and neither of them held up well. They also let rain through. I had to replace them after only a year. This time I bought a Nelson Rigg and it seems to be made better and more durable.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a Dowco Guardian (large) and am happy with it.
The bottom part of the cover isn't heat sensitive so you dont have to worry about it melting on potentially hot parts of the bike.

Though true it is not waterPROOF, it is water resistant.
I have my bike under a carport and find it does a fine job of keeping the morning due, blown rain, ect... from contacting the bike.

I have a 2nd cheap nylon cover I keep in my saddlebag to cover the bike when I am out and about. Since I try not to ride in the rain, this cover isn't to keep it dry so much as keeping the bird crap, tree sap, and dust off the bike while I have it parked outside.

Dom

·
Registered
23 Posts
In my carport, I use a simple ripstop plastic tarp that I loosely drape over the bike, so that the mirrors support it in front, and I tie it to the rear so it doesn't sag down onto the seat. Don't laugh..it works!

It is waterproof, and it does not breathe, but loosely draped, it lets air circulate and it does the job of keeping off the rain, dust, and sun.

Last year, I used a fitted, breathable, vented cover that used elastic to fit snugly around the pipes, and I had an unacceptable amount of minor pitting on the chrome and other parts. Apparently the snug fit elevated the humidity enough to accelerate the pitting, in spite of the fact the cover could breathe a bit and was vented near the mirrors.

So far, the cheapie plastic drape works fine...no pitting.

Of course, a drape would not work well if the bike were completely outdoors where the wind could whip it around.

Just an alternative, for those of you with partially-garaged bikes.

--Roy

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
i use a Nelson Rigg XL and it has seen better days, just needs a good washing and a new coat of scotch gaurd. it came with the bike from the previous owner, and for being in texas weather, and from previous uses of tarps in texas i would say it gets an A+. plus fits nicely with a windsheild too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nelson Rigg XL

I just received my Nelson Rigg XL today and tried it on my bike. It seems to fit well. I'm glad I went with the XL instead of the large.

Michael

·
Registered
76 Posts
Bike Cover Comparision

What are your experiences with the following motorcycle covers.

Covermax Deluxe Motorcycle Cover.
Dowco Guardian WeatherAll Cover.
Dowco Guardian WeatherAll Plus Cover.
Nelson Rigg Defender 400/500/600 series.
Nelson Rigg Defender 2000.

The covermax is available locally whereas the Dowco & Nelson-Rigg Defender needs to be mail ordered. Also if you have owned one in past please let us know what accessories you had (windscreen size, saddle bags, etc) and what size cover you used. And of course if you would recommend the cover to others.

TIA

·
Registered
124 Posts
i would like a recommendation for a cover to place over my bike while its stored in amy shed over the winter. it gets fairly humid and moist in my shed. doesnt let rain in but i have gone out to have my bike covered in condensation before. i would like to have some sort of good breathable cover that won't trap the mositure inside. thoughts?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not sure what kind of shed you are putting the bike in, but if its a metal shed keep in mind that they dont allow for much air circulation and you could very well have this problem no matter what kind of cover you put on the bike.

I have one of those garden sheds that get built on your property. Yes - expensive they are - but there is decent circulation inside the shed and my Guardian cover did its job quite well.

Dom

·
Registered
124 Posts
dgcam55 said:
Not sure what kind of shed you are putting the bike in, but if its a metal shed keep in mind that they dont allow for much air circulation and you could very well have this problem no matter what kind of cover you put on the bike.

I have one of those garden sheds that get built on your property. Yes - expensive they are - but there is decent circulation inside the shed and my Guardian cover did its job quite well.

Dom
its a nice raised floor wooden storage shed that was built in my yard. not a lot of circulation though. i suppose i should somehow add another vent. i think it has but one one small vent.
so is a general opinion that teh guardian is a good cover?

·
Registered
76 Posts
dgcam55 said:
my Guardian cover did its job quite well.

if the cover was used for VN750, it would be helpful to others if you mentioned the size of the cover. Also please let us know what was the exact name of cover such as weatherall or weather all plus or lite.... so that we can figure out if one particular trim is better than the other...

·
Registered
699 Posts
nachos, if there is power to the shed...what about adding an exhaust fan?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have two vents in my garden shed - its the vinyl sided type & also has the raised wood floor. :) You will probably find it to be ok. Mine was perfectly fine this spring when I took it out. I only had my Dowco Guardian (size L) motorcycle cover on it. I did rubberband some saran wrap around the exhaust, and air filters to prevent the little critters from getting in.

The metal and rubbermaid sheds tend to be the worst when it comes to air circulation.

Also note - my bike has a plex fairing windshield on it with medium saddle bags and the cover fits nicely.

Dom

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
For the more ambitious types, HERE'S(pdf format) plans for a PVC pipe 'mini garage', in case you don't have a shed/garage to park the bike in.
Although, it doesn't have a door included in the instructions. HERE'S another pdf file of how to make hinges so you could add a door.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Cover for Travel

I keep my bike in the garage, which is well-ventilated and dry. I will be riding it all winter, so I will only throw a cover over it when it's snowing, sleeting, or simply too frigid to fire it up.

What I do need is a cover to take with me when I'm on the road and parking my bike outside. Can anyone recommend a lightweight, easily-packed cover? (I don't have saddlebags or a sissy bar, but I do have a Plexifairing 3 windshield.)

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
There's usually alot of covers on ebay.
But, having the Plexi 3 will make things a little tough to find something 'small' yet still fit decently.
If you're (or ya know someone that is) handy with a sewing machine, a simple tarp can be made to fit perfectly. You'll want to be careful how it fits near the exhaust though !! Maybe just a 1/2 or 3/4 cover would work for ya.
And be sure to seal the seams.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
My buddy gave me his old one he used on his goldwing, so it's plenty big, even with my windshield and large trunk. I usually bungee it together at the bottom around the front and rear wheel, and around the mid section. It packs up into a bag the size of a football and I keep it in my saddlebag. Don't know what brand, but the size is large, obviously. It does a great job in blowing rain though. I park my bike under a carport and ride all year. So, I only use the cover when I know it's going to storm, or on a trip when I park at night.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts