Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the old girl (VN, not the girlfriend:)) on a 400+ mile round trip to Newburgh NY, on the weekend of the 25th in July. Destination was the Orange County Choppers new showroom. My original plan was to make it a two day trip out, check out some sites along the way, and then return in one day. But instead I rode out with a couple of buddies who have Harleys'. (Sometimes ya just have to lower your standards!)We pretty much rode the whole way out nonstop except to get fuel. Talk about a sore saddle.... I took lead on the last eight miles or so. Needless to say we were going well above the speed limit...... Couldn't wait to get there and get off the bike. Guess the foam in my 20+ year old stock seat could use alittle refreshing.
Overall it was a pretty nice ride. Well worth the trip. The new showroom is pretty cool.. They have most of the bikes from the show on display, and you can get close enough to touch most of them. (Sorry no pics at this time.) We even rode out to the original shop and checked that out from the outside. After that we went to Vinny and Codys' new shop....., but they were closed by the time we got there. "Trigger" took me out and back without as much as a hickup. Ya just gotta love the VN750!:rockon:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Took the old girl (VN, not the girlfriend:)) on a 400+ mile round trip to Newburgh NY, on the weekend of the 25th in July. Destination was the Orange County Choppers new showroom. My original plan was to make it a two day trip out, check out some sites along the way, and then return in one day. But instead I rode out with a couple of buddies who have Harleys'. (Sometimes ya just have to lower your standards!)We pretty much rode the whole way out nonstop except to get fuel. Talk about a sore saddle.... I took lead on the last eight miles or so. Needless to say we were going well above the speed limit...... Couldn't wait to get there and get off the bike. Guess the foam in my 20+ year old stock seat could use alittle refreshing.
Overall it was a pretty nice ride. Well worth the trip. The new showroom is pretty cool.. They have most of the bikes from the show on display, and you can get close enough to touch most of them. (Sorry no pics at this time.) We even rode out to the original shop and checked that out from the outside. After that we went to Vinny and Codys' new shop....., but they were closed by the time we got there. "Trigger" took me out and back without as much as a hickup. Ya just gotta love the VN750!:rockon:
I lived 5 miles from the old shop which was a converted bread delivery warehouse. Orange County is beautiful. Lots of great riding there for sure. I moved to my present location (Charlotte NC) three years ago. I do miss Orange County, just not the cold weather and high taxes. :smiley_th

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
You need to go on the 14th of August, they are doing a bike unveil and Paul Sr. will be there. Check out their web site and click on the news tab.

and hey, I'm also a Harley Rider, what's that comment about lowering your standards? Remember I'm also a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer, we have ways to deal with people who talk bad about my mother's son. (just kidding, I don't even know who he is.)

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I actually still love the show as it reminds me so much of when I was in College and my Step-Father and I were partners in a Bean-Bag Chair Business (remember those in the seventies, well we made many of them). We fought just like Jr. & Sr. because when you are young, you always think you know more than your old man even though he has been doing it for years before you...LOL!
Also I was on a charity ride last May, one rider had an OCC bike and I was blown away by how well it was put together including all the minor details like the welds etc.
Another story, I have stayed at the Hotel Vinny and Cody stay at in Daytona Beach for Bike Week the last couple of years and they are two of the most down to earth greatest guys I have ever met. I hope their shop survives this economy..........

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
... Orange County is beautiful. Lots of great riding there for sure. I moved to my present location (Charlotte NC) three years ago. I do miss Orange County, just not the cold weather and high taxes. :smiley_th
Orange County cold weather??? :) I'll take it instead of this Sahara of Rochester Minnesota. :doh:

Orange County is beautiful, but too many people.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Orange County cold weather??? :) I'll take it instead of this Sahara of Rochester Minnesota. :doh:

Orange County is beautiful, but too many people.
Too many people in Orange County?!?! Try living around the Atlanta area! My County alone has over 800,000. That's almost triple the population of Orange County. :wow:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and hey, I'm also a Harley Rider, what's that comment about lowering your standards? Remember I'm also a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer, we have ways to deal with people who talk bad about my mother's son. (just kidding, I don't even know who he is.)
Sorry, I just couldn't resist a cheap shot at the Harley crowd! Lol....Even though I wish that I could afford one.... Ah, maybe some day...:D

One side note on going to OCC... If you want to see the shop in operation,(They have viewing windows so that ya can watch) or have a chance to see Sr., Jr., or any of the others, go during the week. the assembly shop is closed on weekends.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Ah yes, Orange County Choppers....What McDonnalds is to food, OCC is to custom bikes.
I can't even watch the show on TV anymore. Sorry.KM
I agree 110%..:beerchug:...

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I agree 110%..:beerchug:...
Why don't you guys like OCC? I don't see how they're like Mickey D's at all. Mickey D's certainly doesn't make custom burgers and fries, that's for sure. They make barely edible sheeot and sell it for convenience. I don't think OCC does that. If they do then some companies and celebrities are shelling out a whole hell of alot of cash for crap on 2 wheels.

OCC makes their own parts for the theme bikes. They cut them by hand from sheet metal and machine their own peices born of their own ideas. It starts with a drawing of a pretty badass chopper and they bring it to life. What's wrong with that? How is that not custom? I'm con-fuss-ed...

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I think what they are getting at is, that though they may make nice bikes, they have gone commercial and the show has turned more into a soap opera than a show about building custom bikes like it used to be back when they were still on the Discovery channel. I don't really watch it much anymore either. I used to like it, but ever since they moved it to TLC and after Vinnie moved on to bigger and better things, the show seems to have taken a hard left in the wrong direction.

KM and Old dog, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's what you were getting at right?

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
I think what they are getting at is, that though they may make nice bikes, they have gone commercial and the show has turned more into a soap opera than a show about building custom bikes like it used to be back when they were still on the Discovery channel. I don't really watch it much anymore either. I used to like it, but ever since they moved it to TLC and after Vinnie moved on to bigger and better things, the show seems to have taken a hard left in the wrong direction.

KM and Old dog, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's what you were getting at right?

Pretty much. With the all the tools they have on hand...a Flow jet, a metal shear, a tubing bender , a machine lathe , etc.... Not to mention having tons of parts in stock, it be hard for them not to turn out a "custom" bike .....and with ease.

I remember seeing Indian Larry? fabbing a tank and tins from scatch using an english wheel, and cutting out pieces with a hacksaw. A drill press was the most modern piece of equipment he had and yet he produced some great bikes.

OCC can basicly just draw the thing on a computer and have a team of employees fabricate every part needed in just a few hours. Sometimes I wonder what folks are paying for when I see all the time saving crap they have in house. Not saying their bikes are no good, just that ANYONE with that much equipment could build a one off bike. (and most times they use premade frames)

I liked the "Biker Build Off" show as it pitted two builders against one another and you got to see some great "out side of the box " thinking...(OCC refused to go on that show BTW)

As for the show itself, I guess once you see someone build a bike a few dozen times , but have to put up with Paul Sr. and Paul Jr going at it like old women every fkn show, it just gets tiring.

Perhaps your love of bikes is just blinding you on how idiotic the show has become, or on how increadibly mainstream OCC has become with no real change in their design work...(How many sport bikes or drag bikes have they built?)

They ever use anything other than a American V twin ??

BORING..............................

KM

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Jr.'s designs were awesome at first, but like KM said, it seems to be the same old thing now. I know Jesse James stays with a lot of the same designs sometims also, but the thing I like about him over O.C.C. is that he builds his bikes from the ground up.

West Coast Choppers (Jesse James) VS O.C.C.

W.C.C.
Frame - always custom made in house

Gas tank - always custom made hand cut and hand shaped in house

Handle bars - always custom made in house

Seat pan - always custom made hand cut and hand shaped in house

Seat foam/upholstery - always custom made in house

Paint job - always custom in house

Exhaust - always custom made in house

Oil pan - always custom made hand cut in house

Wheels - always custom made using CNC in house

O.C.C.
Frame - usually pre-made (ordered) and sometimes modified, sometimes custom made in house

Gas tank - usually pre-made (ordered) and sometime modified, sometimes hand made cut out using CNC in house

Handle bars - sometimes pre-made (ordered), sometimes custom made in house

Seat pan - usually CNC cut then hand shaped in house

Seat foam/upholstery - always outsourced

Paint job - always outsourced custom

Exhaust - sometimes pre-made (ordered) and modified, sometimes custom made in house

Oil pan - sometime pre-made (ordered), sometimes custom made cut out using CNC in house

Wheels - sometimes custom made using CNC in house, sometimes outsourced custom

Bottom line is, If I had that kind of money to spend on a custom chopper, I would take my money to W.C.C. before I would go to O.C.C.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Damn it KM you did it again, I will have to agree with you once more. The show has lost most of its apeal with me as well. Once, twice, a hundred thousand times you see Sr. blow a cork at Jr. yadda yadda yadda. When the show 1st came out I would be white knuckeled to my chair waiting to see the finished product but now if it comes on I only wish that I could fast forward it to see the finished bike.

Peace:beerchug:

·
Newb with a Bullet!
589 Posts
Ah, it's a TV show! I didn't even know that.

Not watching television is WONDERFUL. I highly recommend it. I have never had cable as an adult. It's like getting 4-6 more hours in a day!

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I think comparing OCC and WCC is like comparing apples to oranges. In the beginning it was well known that Jesse James was trying to get the word out that OCC was just buying aftermarket parts, modifying them a bit and then having Justin or Nubs do an awesome paint job (They are both suing OCC by the way) to truly pull the "theme bike" together. And I do emphasize theme bike as that was what the show was about, not making a gorgeous custom bike like the famous builders on "Biker Build-Off" put together (man, I miss that show). You could tell it was getting to Senior as he started challenging his guys to fabricate something instead of bolting something from Ted's V-Twin on, and like KM said, they now have what I am pretty sure is the only state of the art custom motorcycle shop in the world. Probably the only person that would even come close would be Arlen Ness. I'm sure to the chagrin of many bikers that have been riding for 30 + years that the Discovery Network certainly fuled the Motorcycle industry in the last ten years and put many more riders on the road, created many custom shops and after market parts suppliers..........

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Pretty much. With the all the tools they have on hand...a Flow jet, a metal shear, a tubing bender , a machine lathe , etc.... Not to mention having tons of parts in stock, it be hard for them not to turn out a "custom" bike .....and with ease.

I remember seeing Indian Larry? fabbing a tank and tins from scatch using an english wheel, and cutting out pieces with a hacksaw. A drill press was the most modern piece of equipment he had and yet he produced some great bikes.

OCC can basicly just draw the thing on a computer and have a team of employees fabricate every part needed in just a few hours. Sometimes I wonder what folks are paying for when I see all the time saving crap they have in house. Not saying their bikes are no good, just that ANYONE with that much equipment could build a one off bike. (and most times they use premade frames)

I liked the "Biker Build Off" show as it pitted two builders against one another and you got to see some great "out side of the box " thinking...(OCC refused to go on that show BTW)

As for the show itself, I guess once you see someone build a bike a few dozen times , but have to put up with Paul Sr. and Paul Jr going at it like old women every fkn show, it just gets tiring.

Perhaps your love of bikes is just blinding you on how idiotic the show has become, or on how increadibly mainstream OCC has become with no real change in their design work...(How many sport bikes or drag bikes have they built?)

They ever use anything other than a American V twin ??

BORING..............................

KM
Perhaps. Or perhaps my opinion of the show is just different from yours and I'm not actually blinded by anything at all. Perhaps that's the case...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts