Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VN750 MOM recommends that air pressure be kept at 28psi in the front tire and 28-32 (depending on load) in the rear tire. Everyone I know keeps the pressure much higher than this. I know that the ideal pressure is different for different tires but isn't MOM's recommendation too low for *any* tire?

How much pressure do you maintain in your tires? What tires do you have?

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
I always run mine around 32. Why? Who knows... I always ran my Maybach around that psi until I bought some low profile tires/wheels. Now I run 35+

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey Artman, I'm thinking about going with the 404's pretty quick here. You have any complaints about them, or think they shine in any area? You get your's online or local?

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
The pressure printed on the sidewall is the maximum pressure for the tire - not necessarily the "best" pressure. You'll get better traction if you run less pressure. But if you run your pressure too low, you risk having the tire break loose from the wheel. Because of this, when you carry more weight (like a passenger) you should run the pressure near or at maximum. But when you ride solo, you can bring that pressure down some and have better handling.

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
No sir no complaints. Good straight line running and great traction in wet conditions. You can get them pretty cheap online but I do like to support the local guys. I believe the total cost front and rear installed and splines greased was near $ 250.00

·
Registered
553 Posts
Ditto on the 404's they are a good tire for the money. Got mine at Ron Ayers and had the dealership put them on. They wanted 30.00 more per tire then RA

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Artman... That was quite a good deal, my dealership here in Spokane, WA
would have charged at least 450.00

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
Yeah I thought so also. It's a small shop and local and now he has all my business. My buddies also now go there, so it works well for everyone.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Gargoyle said:
VN750 MOM recommends that air pressure be kept at 28psi in the front tire and 28-32 (depending on load) in the rear tire. Everyone I know keeps the pressure much higher than this. I know that the ideal pressure is different for different tires but isn't MOM's recommendation too low for *any* tire?

How much pressure do you maintain in your tires? What tires do you have?
There are almost as many opinions on what psi to run as there are oil recomendations...:blah:
So I'll just add to the confusion....:hitanykey
In the absence of a recomended pressure by the tire manufacturer (not the bike manufacturer) for the bike you are riding, I look to the maximum pressure number on the sidewall.
This is the maximum pressure for the heaviest load the tire is rated at, according to the manufacturer.
Since I don't do 2-up, very little luggage, and weigh in at a staggering 160lbs, on a 500lb bike I'll take 10% off this number, round up to the nearest lb, and use this for the rear tire. Subtract 2psi for the front if it has the same max pressure rating.
I use 10% because pressure increases as the tire heats up...I researched that this can be as much as 10%, esp on older tires, depending on a lot of factors. Ancient lore, urban legend?? Could be....
This results in a setting of 36fr and 38rr for my Pirelli Stradas, for instance. They have a max pressure of 42psi for both front and rear.
My first set of Metz 880s got 22000mi using Metz recomended pressures vs 11200mi for the stock 'Stones set at Kaw recomendations....
As always...YMMV, and the higher psi you use given the same total loads results in smaller contact patches, firmer ride etc etc.....:zzz:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts