Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

It's been a while but I had posted before that my bike felt like the battery kept going dead. Even when I got my sealed battery it worked fine but every now and again it would hesitate to turn over. Strangely enough it got better for a few weeks and then all of a sudden the bike won't start as of today. I figured it was the battery since it was sitting for about a week and prior to then it was about a month (darn New England rain) before I rode it that time. I put the charger on and when it was charged I tried again. "Click" is all I heard. I then proceeded to troubleshoot the electrical system. Battery, Ok. Relay, Ok. Power all the way to the starter, Ok. I then removed the terminal on the starter and cleaned it thoroughly, as I did a few months ago, and put it back together with dielectric grease. Tried to start the bike. Nothing. My educated guess is telling me that the starter is dead but maybe someone has seen this before and has a trick up their sleeve? lol.

My unfortunate unemployment issues are going to keep me from purchasing a new or even rebuilt starter but hopefully I can pull this one out and clean it or replace the internals for cheap.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Check the Battery,frame and engine grounds, remove and clean them. If you take a jumper cable from battery + lead and touch the starter lug you can check the starter.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
The new AGM battery maybe bad. May need to check at the store you bought it or a parts store to see if it really has enough amps to crank the engine. It may read good but not enough CCA to turn the engine over.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the Battery,frame and engine grounds, remove and clean them. If you take a jumper cable from battery + lead and touch the starter lug you can check the starter.
All above has been done as of today. Confirmed 12v all the way from battery to starter and grounded to frame.

Seems the starter is hosed. Anyone know a cross reference of the starters across Vulcans? I'm hoping there are a few different years/models I can use.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
All above has been done as of today. Confirmed 12v all the way from battery to starter and grounded to frame.

Seems the starter is hosed. Anyone know a cross reference of the starters across Vulcans? I'm hoping there are a few different years/models I can use.
I'd try taking apart the starter and Cleaning & Lubing it. Then check it outside of the bike and see how it turns.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd try taking apart the starter and Cleaning & Lubing it. Then check it outside of the bike and see how it turns.
I was thinking that as well so I took it apart and I couldn't believe how crudded up it was. The Commutator was black and 2 of the brushes were stuck in the holders. I cleaned and lubed everything, put it back together and then installed it in the bike and she started first press of the button.

The whole project took me about an hour. For not having cleaning a starter before I'd say it was pretty easy.

Thanks for all the suggestions. :beerchug:

Reactions: fergy

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Good work! I'll remember that one when my starter goes. Thanks for posting...

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
That's great news! Its easy to take for granted the starter motor, but it is in a position to gather all the crud thrown up by the front tire, kind of a "first responder" to all the grime. Glad you were able to bring it back to life. It's also great to have this information on the forum!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts