Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am gonna get some new tires for the bike. I was thinking of ordering these the reviews all seem to point towards these being great tires.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/401/6126/PRODUCT-REVIEW/Metzeler-ME-880-Marathon-Touring-Front-Tire.aspx
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/401/6127/ITEM/Metzeler-ME-880-Marathon-Touring-Rear-Tire.aspx
Anyone ever use these? Also I was hoping to confirm the tire sizes I need to order. The PO of my bike put a 140 on the back and given its still pretty new compared to the one on the front im not that big on having the smaller tire on the back. I have read that people have been able to put a 170 on the back but im just wondering if I would have to change anything to make it fit. Anyways as always thanks in advance for the free wisdom. :smiley_th

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Completely forgot to check the versus before asking. As you said the Metz's do get a lot of praise. I Guess all i could ask for now would be if anyone knows of a better (less expensive) place to pick some up at. With front and back that is a large chunk of my bonus check. Not that its not worth it but if I can get a better deal somewhere else all the better.

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
I would stick with the stock size in the rear (150/90) but would go with the 110 in front. You can use a 170 without making any mods , but I really do not see any big advantage to a wider tire in back on the 750.

If you are buying online be sure to check the shipping costs some places charge for their seemingly low priced tires...

Motorcycle superstore usualy has good prices, but I would check around anyway first.

KM

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had to replace my tires last fall. I went with the Pirelli MT66 tires. If my research informed me correctly Pirelli makes Metzelers. The reviews I read on the MT66's were saying they got about the same mileage as the Metzelers, 8 to 10k and they are about half the price. I've got a almost 2k on mine so far and they are showing very little wear. They handle everything I throw at them, but I don't ride all that aggressive either. I got mine from DennisKirk.com because motorcycle superstore couldn't get them stocked. DK was a few $$ more, but they were in stock and I needed tires.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
^X2 but ronayers.com was cheaper at the time.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Motorcycle Superstore usually has free shipping on orders over a price I believe. Got my Michelin's from there. I did a lot of reading of reviews on the Metzlers and it looks like their quality has gone downhill since they started making all their bias ply tires in Brazil. My latest ME880's were Brazilian made but I didn't get to put many miles on them before I sold the bike. Some of the guys on the VROC forum say they got terrible wear out of them and won't buy them again. I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll probably find bad reviews about any tire, so sometimes you just have to go try them yourself.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
I have them on my V-Star and love them. I believe the whole poor quality issue was on one batch and not a continual quality control issue thing. Check Bikebandit.com. They usually have the lowest price and free ground shipping.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Reactions: potlikker454

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
So I am gonna get some new tires for the bike. I was thinking of ordering these the reviews all seem to point towards these being great tires.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/401/6126/PRODUCT-REVIEW/Metzeler-ME-880-Marathon-Touring-Front-Tire.aspx
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/401/6127/ITEM/Metzeler-ME-880-Marathon-Touring-Rear-Tire.aspx
Anyone ever use these? Also I was hoping to confirm the tire sizes I need to order. The PO of my bike put a 140 on the back and given its still pretty new compared to the one on the front im not that big on having the smaller tire on the back. I have read that people have been able to put a 170 on the back but im just wondering if I would have to change anything to make it fit. Anyways as always thanks in advance for the free wisdom. :smiley_th
I bought the Metz from motorcycle-superstore.com cause they were about the cheapest I could find anywhere, especially with the free shipping. I put the 110/90-19 on the front and left the rear tire 150/90-15. I love them. They are a great tire.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far cheapest I've found are at ronayers but its 12.00 per tire to ship. 242.54 b4 shipping. Motorcycle superstore isn't the cheapest but they have free shipping for anything more than 75.00. 263.98 total, and they will get to me sooner. Checked denniskirk, motorcycleproshop, americanmototire, and bikebandit as well but all charge shipping except maybe Bikebandit, and even if it is free through them its still 271.51. That is almost half of what I paid for the bike to begin with but then again I got a really good deal, and you cant really put a price on peace of mind with the way the people around here drive. It would be good to know the rubber under me wont be slipping/blowing out on me. Best part about the new tires is it will give me the perfect chance to do the spline lube.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn you Dirttrack I had myself talked into getting the Metzlers, lol but those shinko's actually don't sound to bad either for half the price. I'm not usually one to skimp if I can help it but if I can get something at half the price thats almost just as good that is that much more I can spend on everything else I need for the bike. Still need saddlebags and what little bit of looking I have done so far they don't seem cheap. Ehh I will have to think about it I guess.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I shopped around for a week online and motorcycle superstore with the free shipping was the cheapest rte for me,I went with Dunlop 404's 110/90 front and 170/80 rear and noticed a tremendous difference in handling it may have been that any new tire would have handled better,But I will stay with the sizes that are on it now,The 170 went on with no mods and dropped my highway Rpms about 300 at 70 MPH,you will probably see a greater drop than that,along with better mileage, if you are running a 140 now.Pick something you will be satisfied with according to your style of riding,A LOT of people are running the me880's for some reason,they must be pretty good tires.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Call me cheap but I ended up settling on the Shinkos. I thought about it, this being my first bike and me just starting I wouldn't even be able to fully enjoy the difference between what I have on now and the new set of Metz's. For now I think the Shinko's where inexpensive and from the reviews will be a good start, by time I wear them out I will be a lot more experienced and will be able to fully appreciate a 300 dollar set of tires lol. Besides like I said I still need a few things like a riding jacket, saddlebags, and maybe the advanced motorcycle course would be a good idea as well. If I spend all my money in one spot I'll just keep putting the other things off and I wont be able to enjoy it as much. Allready tired of using my old highschool bookbag to carry all my stuff to work in. lol.. Thanks for the advise fella's I'll let you guys know how the mounting and all goes when I get them. I gotta find someone that will mount/balance them for me. Also gotta find that link to order some Moly. Fergy I'll be using that link in your Sig for the lube procedure so don't go taking it off anytime soon lol.

On another note when I was leaving work today I was checking out the bikes some of the people I work with have. Mine looks so wore out compared to theirs. A few harleys, a couple honda's, one of those vulcan 1100's, and someone even has one of those Can Am trike things. I gotta get mine looking better. Whoever had it b4 the lady I got it from kept it in a barn and it kinda looks it. Runs strong other than the Idle still being a pain in the ass. All in all new tires and a touch up on the plastics and paint with maybe some saddle bags and it will be something to be proud of.

Reactions: potlikker454

·
Registered
311 Posts
Best bang for the buck are K673 Kenda Kruz tires. I have 110/90-19 and 170/80-15 and they were a pleasant addiction to my VN700. They work and ride very well.

I bought mine here .

·
Registered
139 Posts
I put a Vredestein Classic on the Back. Its a car tire and i expect that it will give me at least 50,000 miles. I have over 3000 miles on this tire and cant find any reason to change.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I put a Vredestein Classic on the Back. Its a car tire and i expect that it will give me at least 50,000 miles. I have over 3000 miles on this tire and cant find any reason to change.
Isn't that a flat tread tire versus the round type typically used on a bike? If so, you must lose significant contact in turns going over on the corner of the tire. Car tires are not designed to lean over, bike tires are.

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I shopped around for a week online and motorcycle superstore with the free shipping was the cheapest rte for me,I went with Dunlop 404's 110/90 front and 170/80 rear and noticed a tremendous difference in handling it may have been that any new tire would have handled better,But I will stay with the sizes that are on it now,The 170 went on with no mods and dropped my highway Rpms about 300 at 70 MPH,you will probably see a greater drop than that,along with better mileage, if you are running a 140 now.Pick something you will be satisfied with according to your style of riding,A LOT of people are running the me880's for some reason,they must be pretty good tires.
The height difference between a 150 stock and the 170 is less than a tenth of an inch. I doubt that would make a difference in rpm's. Perhaps the taller 110 front is correcting your speedo so you show going faster at the same rpm's.

Without widening the rear wheel, the wider (170) tire really can not add any benefit.

I have stock size D404's and really like them.

Jon

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Perhaps the taller 110 front is correcting your speedo so you show going faster at the same rpm's.
Jon
Wouldn't the taller front tire show slower rather than faster?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I think that's what Jon meant to say. ;) The 110 on front will bring your speedometer closer to correct, instead of reading about 10% over actual, it goes down to about 2-3% over actual.
I've heard several say that the 170 rear made the rpms lower a bit, but without having a tire of each size to roll around and measure each rotation, it's hard to say!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts