Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!!!!

I'm a newbie to the world of VN750s and I wondered if anyone has noticed just how small the air box inlets are (backside of boxes/facing engine) and decided to open the inlet up a bit.

This is a common mod. in the world of 4 wheels and if I'm going to do the K&N thing (and I am) I was wondering if this mod. would be of benefit.

Your thoughts and/or experiences???

Thanks!!! ..... Roger

·
Registered
115 Posts
Are you talking about an "ear shave modification"? If you are, yes it will help quite a bit. I haven't done it but from what I've read it's a good performance mod.

Crystalship1 said:
Hi Everyone!!!!

I'm a newbie to the world of VN750s and I wondered if anyone has noticed just how small the air box inlets are (backside of boxes/facing engine) and decided to open the inlet up a bit.

This is a common mod. in the world of 4 wheels and if I'm going to do the K&N thing (and I am) I was wondering if this mod. would be of benefit.

Your thoughts and/or experiences???

Thanks!!! ..... Roger

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding Sgt. Mike.

After doing a search for "ear shave" it would seem that this mod. is completely removing the stock air boxes (ears) and using aftermarket boxes or just plain filters w/o enclosures. This also seems to require some re-jetting in many cases.

While I don't dislike the look of the OEM "ears" and being somewhat financially challenged at this time, I was wondering about just increasing the size of the intake holes in the OEM boxes/ears.

Anybody done this???

Thanks again!!!

Roger

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm sure someone who has done this mod will chime in but just case you don't get the answer you want, try here:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/VN750/

Crystalship1 said:
Thanks for responding Sgt. Mike.

After doing a search for "ear shave" it would seem that this mod. is completely removing the stock air boxes (ears) and using aftermarket boxes or just plain filters w/o enclosures. This also seems to require some re-jetting in many cases.

While I don't dislike the look of the OEM "ears" and being somewhat financially challenged at this time, I was wondering about just increasing the size of the intake holes in the OEM boxes/ears.

Anybody done this???

Thanks again!!!

Roger

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Sgt. Mike!!

I might just start by drilling a hole on each end of the inlets but first I'll have capplugs that I can snap into the holes just in case that causes any "issues".

My K&Ns are on the way. :D

I'll let everyone know what happens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, I was thinking the same thing about the air boxes, i like the look of them but thought how little air would be getting in behind them, i was gonna try something like cutting out the black plastic bits and just use some kind of black mesh to get more ventilation. How much were the K&N's, where did you order them from?? thanx Brad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts