Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since a few members have been sharing their less than bright moments, here's mine for today...

I got off my unpaid work (maybe it's what you would call an internship? I dunno the terms for it), and as I was walking home I loved the cool breeze and cloudy weather... so I immediately thought "I'm taking the bike out!!".

I got home and had something to eat and then looked for the bike's keys... but then I remembered I've been neglecting this hiccup... when I try to start it, it doesn't start as fast as it used to. It's kinda like the starter starts going then bogs down then cranks again and the bike starts... so I thought the bike deserved for me to take a look instead of just abusing her...

Well, I seem to have forgotten that I'm working on a bike and not a car, cause I took off the starter without ever thinking that the oil would come pouring out!

So I got a big puddle of oil on the driveway and now I can't take out the bike anyway cause I don't have oil for it lol. What a way to ruin a perfect riding opportunity.

Well, I did need to do an oil change anyway lol.

So, to make this thread worthy of the general discussion section... I was gonna try taking apart the starter and giving it a thorough cleaning. There's some oil/gunk all over it, so I thought cleaning it couldn't hurt. Good idea? Bad? Any other suggestions? The connections are fine as far as I could tell, and I added an extra ground cable to the body of the starter a while ago so I wouldn't have any issues with the ground.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
But I guess that is what learns us to look before we leap...
All I can say is, that sounds more like something I would do...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Super Moderator
11,869 Posts
Ahhhhh.....the "blonde moment" as some call it. Had a few of those...

Luckily for me , none motorcycle related.....yet.

I could go into the time I almost cut my thumb off on a table saw, or the time I poured 10w40 into the transmission of a friends car. Of the time I ......well you get the idea......sometimes your brain takes a nap...when it shouldn't.

Cat litter and laundry detergent work well on oil spills......

KM

·
Registered
555 Posts
unpaid work? I am not understanding this. Doesn't your state have guidelines when it comes to wages?

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Ahhhhh.....the "blonde moment" as some call it. Had a few of those...KM
Yep, and I think the older you get the more you have had, and the more you will have... Did I mention I am probably the oldest of the bunch...lol...
One I keep rememberin is changing the oil in my 63 Valiant slant 6... I kept thinking it sounded kinda funny goin in, and on opening the last quart I still heard it, looked underneath at the drain pan and it was overflowing, and there lay the drain plug on the paper towel...:doh:...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
900 Posts
the time I am on the wife and call her cindy... her name isnt cindy!... anyway... Ceal.. do you ahve a battery charger?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hahaha those are some great examples of "blonde moments" guys!

I have a battery tender. Battery is in good shape as far as I can tell. It seems more like the starter gets stuck, cause it sounds like it engages, then it stops for a second and then cranks and the bike starts. When it cranks it doesn't sound like the usual slow/sluggish cranking that happens when your battery is low, it sounds like a normal crank followed by the bike starting. It's just at the very start of it all when I press the button it tries to crank, stops for a second then resumes like nothing happened lol.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
the time I am on the wife and call her cindy... her name isnt cindy!... anyway... Ceal.. do you ahve a battery charger?
Wow, that ones a shocker! lol

·
Registered
900 Posts
and if anyone of you call her cindy at the gathering...ohhhhhh baby its gonna be one to remember!..lol..I ain't payin for that one again.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now I wish I could go to the gathering just to see that lol.

I did give my start button an overhaul... contacts were rusted so I ended up sanding them a bit to get them back to being all shiny, and I do have an AGM battery.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
unpaid work? I am not understanding this. Doesn't your state have guidelines when it comes to wages?
Just remembered I didn't answer this lol.

My school has a requirement that I have to do "Professional practice" to complete the career and graduate. That means I have to work for free for a company, doing what an Industrial Engineer would do on their payroll. Except they don't have to pay me anything at all.

It's a very common thing here in Mexico... we do a social service too, but that has to be with a government company or school and has nothing to do with the career or anything. Professional practice has to be about your career and can be in either government or private companies.

I have to do two practices of 150 hours each. I finish the first one next week.

I've heard of internships in the U.S., but I've never known if they are comparable to this. Guess I've been too lazy to google it (googling it now).... yea, seems like it's about the same thing, judging from wikipedia lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts