Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might need a new stator:( bike died last night and this is what i found today. the stator wire and neutral switch wires had burned thru above the connectors where they were wire tied to the frame, just ahead of the battery box.

i checked the stator using the clymer manual instructions, however i did not warm the motor up first. didn't want to run it like this. will that make a difference? the manual says to look for .34 to.52 ohms. I got .6 on all combination of wires. checked all wires to ground using the ground bolt next to the neg batt. terminal. all read infinity. could it still be ok after this much damage? next i checked the regulator. these values did not even come close. is it possible the regulator took alll the damage and left the stator ok? do you think splicing the wires together is a viable option?
you may want to check this area for wire chaffing!
thanks for any and all input on this problem

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
You just might be OK. Those readings aren't bad at all, what I would do sense you already have to rewire is add a fuseable link to it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i certainly hope so! just looks so bad. looks like the wires from the stator have color coding but the ones above the connectors do not. do you know if they are specific for each connection?

·
Registered
721 Posts
hopefully it just looks worse than it really is... good luck!

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
i certainly hope so! just looks so bad. looks like the wires from the stator have color coding but the ones above the connectors do not. do you know if they are specific for each connection?
Nope, it doesnt matter how you plug them in as long as all 3 are plugged in, they are the same I believe

Peace:beerchug:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Outstanding. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I thought about fusing the stator on my 750 but there is a thread on here somewhere that Mentions some one that did put fuses in the three wires to the stator and one fuse blew leaving it to run on only two legs of the three and overloaded them and burned up the stator.A more dependable check of your stator is to set it to AC volts at least on a 100 volt scale,charge your battery start your bike with the three stator wires and check to see if you have at least 50 volts AC between any and all combinations of yellow wires,at around 3000 RPM that is a definitive test for a good stator.the resistance method works but is kinda iffy and can give false readings. When I wired mine Back up the connectors looked like they had begun to heat up and I mentioned on here about fusing mine and some one told me about the thread I mentioned earlier and suggested that I solder the stator connections instead of using the bullet connectors,which is the route I went ,because if you have to go to the trouble that it is to replace the stator, how hard would it be to resolder three wires ,If Kaw had meant to make it easier the would have made both sides of the frame bottom removable instead of one and a loose connection or corroded one may have been the cause of your problems rather than an effect.Its your decision but given these charging system's weaknesses I want every advantage I can get ,and solid connections are cheap peace of mind JMO

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try that stator test tomorow. sounds like a better test. thanks for yhe info.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank goodness. did the denny6oo6 test with my son twisting the throttle and got 47 volts at least, wasn't watching the tach.' so im not sure we were right at 3k. but i think the stator is ok. now i just need a regulator and a good soldering set. what a relief.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Thank goodness. did the denny6oo6 test with my son twisting the throttle and got 47 volts at least, wasn't watching the tach.' so im not sure we were right at 3k. but i think the stator is ok. now i just need a regulator and a good soldering set. what a relief.
I'll not take credit for the test i found it in the manual somewhere or on here,maybe it was Lance, the man is very helpful every time I talk to him ,so it probably was him, and I Like to monkey with electrical problems any way,even though I don't like having them and sounds like your stator is up to snuff

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
That is 14 gauge wire. I got a roll of the yellow at Kragen's that matched what was on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts