Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey everyone,
just installed the mosfet rr and did the tuxedo stator mod(with the help of gcextreme, jack fleming and tim parrot!)...everything went pretty smoothly and got it all back together...pretty straightforward and highly recommended! but now have an starting issue...

the bike will crank and start, but will only run WHILE i hold down the start button...as soon as i let go of the start button it shuts off.
it runs fine, headlight comes on(after the mosfet headlight tweak), i can rev while it's pressed - but the starter is obviously still engaged.

ive seen a few posts with the same issue on the web but havent found any conclusion...
ive gone through the connections visually and they seem fine.

anyone have any ideas?

thanks!

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I'm guessing you are losing the blocking circuit from the TCI....
Check the side stand switch for propper operation.
Bottom line is that pin 14 has to be grounded at all times for the bike to run.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
hey everyone,
just installed the mosfet rr and did the tuxedo stator mod(with the help of gcextreme, jack fleming and tim parrot!)...everything went pretty smoothly and got it all back together...pretty straightforward and highly recommended! but now have an starting issue...

the bike will crank and start, but will only run WHILE i hold down the start button...as soon as i let go of the start button it shuts off.
it runs fine, headlight comes on(after the mosfet headlight tweak), i can rev while it's pressed - but the starter is obviously still engaged.

ive seen a few posts with the same issue on the web but havent found any conclusion...
ive gone through the connections visually and they seem fine.

anyone have any ideas?

thanks!
I have not studied the schematics for this issue....

I suspect........could this be an Ignition switch issue ?

???

:smiley_th

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I have not studied the schematics for this issue....

I suspect........could this be an Ignition switch issue ?

???

:smiley_th
The coils and ingnitor both get their power from the same line off the ignition switch..... so I wouldn't think that was it..... (the bike fires up) but I wont rule it out either...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
check kickstand

this bike doesnt seem to have a switch on the kickstand. so does it still apply when you say 14? where am i looking on the bike? off what schematic?

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
If there isn't a switch, is the harness still there?
Either there is a switch or someone jumped it out....
Pin 14 means on the junction box.... 10 pin connector, on my bike it was the black/white wire.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
The kick stand comes in on pin 16, green/white wire....
with the stand in the up position, you should have continuity from pin 16 to ground.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
^ good luck :smiley_th
Is the bike in neutral when you start it?
Does the neutral light come on?
Please go into a little more detail, like clutch in or out, stand up or down, ....
Maybe you disturbed something doing the R/R upgrade?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so i am getting continuity to ground on pin 14 and 16(TCI and Sidestand), and the neutral light is coming on in neutral and off when in gear. looks like someone completely removed the harness from the side stand, but its apparently grounded somewhere, though i havent find where...

ive tried starting in nuetral/clutch in and out, and in gear with the clutch in.
im sure i disturbed something but i cant seem to narrow it down.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Two things....
how did you wire in the new R/R?
Could the pick-ups or their wiring have gotten damaged when doing the stator mod?
is the pick-up harness connected properly?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ughhh! while working in the the wires to one of the pickups broke off.. I soldered it back on but it may be an issue? the bike runs with the start button in though. so? how would I check?

the three stator wires go to directly to the rr, which is hooked directly to the red battery terminal with a fuse, and black connected to negative battery terminal.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Pick-ups should read 350~550 ohms.....
Also check each lead to ground to make sure there isn't a short....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
when I unplug the pickup connector the bike won't run at all...
I started it, held down the start button, and disconnected the starter and it's running

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
And it shuts off as soon as you let go of the start button, is that right?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts