Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first start my bike up, it usually only runs on one cylinder. It won't start firing the second cylinder until about like 2500 or 3k.

After it warms up, it runs a little better at idle to the point where I can hear the other cylinder fire every 5-10 revolutions.

I was wondering if this would be a problem with the spark system? Maybe a bad coil? I replaced the spark plugs a while back and noticed the same problem before and after.

Also, I noticed that cylinder that doesn't seem to fire correctly lean pops really really bad on deceleration.

Any ideas on what to check? Could the carbs just need to be retuned? Or would that affect the whole range of RPMs

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Spark is easy to check, take a spare plug, connect it up to the offending coil, hold it against the frame (wearing gloves is always smart) where the bolt part is (to ground it). and fire up the bike. See if you have spark, and what the color looks like.

Could be plugged pilot jets, so best to verify spark before pulling carbs or coils.

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
SEAFOAM SEAFOAM SEAFOAM!!!!!:wink2:

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Agree on everything said so far, try seafoam for a tank of gas and see if that helps before yanking the carbs. Check spark.

If pulling the choke on a little makes it stop missing, I'd add some seafoam.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I dunno. I had the same problem with mine. First one of 3 VN750s that did that. After performing Phil's Ear Shave Procedure, all is well. Seems like the cylinder just gets flooded. It was always the rear cylinder on mine. Really weird. Maybe pull the spark plug and get all of the gasoline out of the cylinder?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
Mine was flooding on one cylinder.had dirt in the float needle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts