Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, just noticed that when I start my bike it seems to only be running on one cylinder, but when I rev the engine a bit the front cylinder seems to kick in. Could this be because I need new ACCT's? Once the engine is warmed up there seems to be no problems. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Hutch750:motorcycl

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had that same problem, my local Kawi dealer said that it is because my carbs need a serious cleaning... That is being done professionally now, I can't wait to get the carbs back and see how it runs now.

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Have you tried Seafoam in the gas? If you do a search for Seafoam here you will get lots of info.

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
agree with flight seafoam but while your lookin at it pull the choke and see if both plungers are movin ... but im with flight chances are seafoam wil be your cure !!!

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
I'd put about 1/2 of a 16 ounce can in a full tank since you are trying to remove possible crud in the carb.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I had a similar problem with my '93 back in '93. It was still under warranty, but under no circumstances was I going to trust the dealer service department with my brand new bike. In my case, it was the rear cylinder that was not firing right. What complicated things is that sometimes it would run fine, other times the rear cylinder would just cut out. I removed the carbs, and pulled the float bowl off the rear one. I found that the float was sticking intermittantly, due to a bit of flashing from the manufacturing process rubbing on the float bowl. I sanded it down, and it ran fine ever since, passed 80,000 miles, when I stupidly traded it for a KLR650. That affair didn't last long, and I traded it for a brand new '02 Vulcan 750. Jerry.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tried Seafoam

Hey guys, I have tried the sea foam idea and it did not seem to fix anything. How do I go about checking if I have a broken wire in the pick up coils? If it is a fuel problem would I have to take the tank off in order to check out the carbs? Also I am now getting some slight back firing in the right side exhaust when the RPM's get up around 4,000 or so which I have not had since I marbled. I am guessing that means the problem is starting to get worse. Does this also suggest that this is a fuel problem or a electrical (spark plug or battery)? Any insight/help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- Hutch750:motorcycl

·
Hoser
118 Posts
Could this be because I need new ACCT's
Nothing to do with cam chain tensioners. Mine does the same but after a few minutes the front starts to fire and when completely warmed up runs fine. I'd bet on dirty carbs for both of us.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How to clean the carbs

So how would I go about cleaning the carbs, are there any step by step instructions on here with photos? Also if I were to take the bike to a shop to fix the carbs what should that run me?

Thanks,

·
Registered
59 Posts
you can get a carb cleaning bucket (solvent and basket) at almost any autoparts store, and if you pay attention to the disassembly, you can do the cleaning on your own. the local mechanic here (Spur, TX) charges about $80 for intalling a carb kit.

·
Banned
431 Posts
you can do the cleaning on your own. the local mechanic here (Spur, TX) charges about $80 for intalling a carb kit.
My front cylinder firing problem seems to only be getting worse. Not much I can do with the bike in winter storage 250 miles away! But in preparation for the oncoming riding season, I am trying to research all possible solutions!

Can someone help a newbie to carbs sort this out:

What is the difference between:

1. Installing a Carb Kit

2. Cleaning the Carbs

3. Rebuilding the Carbs

And do they all equate to :BLAM:?!

Thanks!

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
My front cylinder firing problem seems to only be getting worse. Not much I can do with the bike in winter storage 250 miles away! But in preparation for the oncoming riding season, I am trying to research all possible solutions!

Can someone help a newbie to carbs sort this out:

What is the difference between:

1. Installing a Carb Kit
our bikes don't have a carb kit, but a kit would have new seals and gaskets, needle and seat
2. Cleaning the Carbs
as the name implies... disasemble the carbs, clean, replace any worn parts and gaskets
3. Rebuilding the Carbs
A complete overhaul.. all gaskets, seals, float, jets,ect... all internal parts that can be replaced are replaced... (also with both a Carb kit and a Rebuild you clean the carbs b4 reassembly.)
And do they all equate to :BLAM:?!

Thanks!
The Cheapest is the carb clean, then the Carb kit, and the most expensive is the carb rebuild.

·
Banned
431 Posts
Thanks Slim, and Welcome back! Glad you're home safe.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hey guys, I have tried the sea foam idea and it did not seem to fix anything. How do I go about checking if I have a broken wire in the pick up coils? If it is a fuel problem would I have to take the tank off in order to check out the carbs? Also I am now getting some slight back firing in the right side exhaust when the RPM's get up around 4,000 or so which I have not had since I marbled. I am guessing that means the problem is starting to get worse. Does this also suggest that this is a fuel problem or a electrical (spark plug or battery)? Any insight/help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I think you have moved past the pickup coils as a cause, and settled on the carbs as the problem. I think you all are right. If the front pu coil was faulty then the tach should not work, because the front igniter would not fire and the tach sensor reads from that ignitor, or one of the front plug wires. Can someone else confirm that I am I right about this.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys, so how would I go about getting to the carbs to clean them. Would I have to take the gas tank off? Also would I need to take the carbs off the bike or could I clean most of them leaving them on?

Thanks,

- Hutch750

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey KM60155, just noticed your App state tag. Do you go there or did you? I just graduated last spring. What major were you or are you?

- Hutch750

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts