Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my bike out from winter storage. Started right up, idles fine. But when I give it gas or go to take off, it is cutting out bad and seems like only one carb is working. As soon as I give it the gas, the other carb comes in, and it runs fine. Going down the road at highway speeds the bike runs perfect. But every time I stop and take off, it does the same thing. Rode it several times like this thinking it might clear up, but nope. Used seafoam in it last year before storage and it worked fine. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Got my bike out from winter storage. Started right up, idles fine. But when I give it gas or go to take off, it is cutting out bad and seems like only one carb is working. As soon as I give it the gas, the other carb comes in, and it runs fine. Going down the road at highway speeds the bike runs perfect. But every time I stop and take off, it does the same thing. Rode it several times like this thinking it might clear up, but nope. Used seafoam in it last year before storage and it worked fine. Any ideas ?
One pilot jet clogged solid.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Clogged pilot jet. You can try some seafoam. I'd drain the float bowl and just fill it with straight Seafoam, let it sit a half hour, and tap the carb briskly with a screwdriver handle a few times to help loosen up what might be causing the blockage. Put some seafoam in the tank, and go for a ride.
If that doesn't do it, you might have to pull the carbs....

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Clogged pilot jet. You can try some seafoam. I'd drain the float bowl and just fill it with straight Seafoam, let it sit a half hour, and tap the carb briskly with a screwdriver handle a few times to help loosen up what might be causing the blockage. Put some seafoam in the tank, and go for a ride.
If that doesn't do it, you might have to pull the carbs....
I don't think it will work. Gas isn't flowing through the pilot, so seafoam won't either. It will loosen more stuff and make it free to flow everywhere else that isn't clogged already. Gas/seafoam sitting in the bowl, only cleans the bowl.

Save time, bite the bullet, and pull the carbs.

You can leave the cables on the carbs, and the carbs connected together. Cover the engine with a towel, and just clean the jets on each carb. A can of carb cleaner is a must to shoot through all the passages.

Castrol Super Clean is a good alternative for soaking jets if you don't have anything else. Acetone works too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks everyone ! I seafoamed the crap out of it last year, used a whole bottle and ran it awhile then let it set a week. Didn't help a bit, but did make my petcock leak :frown2: Guess I will have to pull the carbs. Gonna do it right, a friend has a parts tank, pretty sure I can do this np. Thanks for the help, I figured it was a clogged Pilot jet but wanted to see if you guys agreed. Might just go ahead and pull the motor and replace the stator while I am at it, tired of not knowing if the battery will get me home, lol.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No idea

I have no idea, never had a motorcycle carb apart in my life. Might be a chunk in it that the seafoam wont eat too. I will post what I find if I can see whats up with it before I tank it. Thanks for the help KM.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
I thought the pilot jet, like the main jet, sat submerged in the float bowl. So filling it with seafoam would enter the jet. Perhaps I'm thinking of a different carburetor. ??

These carbs have a separate float chamber and jet chamber. While there is fuel in the jet chamber, it has to be drawn upward through the jets (as usual). If the jet is clogged up tight, cleaners can't do much.

Had to soak my pilot a couple of hours and poke a wire though it between soaks. Need a drill bit that size, but I stripped wire from a bread tie. Make sure you poke out the emulsion holes on the side of the jet.

Emulsion holes

Float Chamber

Jet Chamber

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Well if the jets do not sit in fuel when the bike is off, that likely explains the multitude of carb problems we've seen over the years.
Just about every motorcycle I've owned that was not fuel injected, never had any carb or fueling problems .....except for the Vulcan 750.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Seems like it's always the rear carb that dries out in storage a few days, maybe because the direction it tilts, not sure.

So you evaporate the gas, and the residue that's left gets into the jets on the next ride.

Got to get the seafoam in there before a jet becomes clogged.

Don't believe we would have so much trouble if we had real gasoline.

Edit: The tip of the jets do sit in fuel, when the chamber is full. It just won't get pushed up through the jet by the weight of the fuel. The fuel gets drawn up by engine vacuum.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Seems like it's always the rear carb that dries out in storage a few days, maybe because the direction it tilts, not sure.

So you evaporate the gas, and the residue that's left gets into the jets on the next ride.

Got to get the seafoam in there before a jet becomes clogged.

Don't believe we would have so much trouble if we had real gasoline.

Edit: The tip of the jets do sit in fuel, when the chamber is full. It just won't get pushed up through the jet by the weight of the fuel. The fuel gets drawn up by engine vacuum.
Spockster, would centerstand storage results be a better option... ?

WilliamTech3

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Spockster, would centerstand storage results be a better option... ?

WilliamTech3
I think it does help, when the bike is laid over, the jets probably get uncovered sooner.

I'm usually too pooped after a ride to do the centerstand, but the first startup after winter, the rear cylinder fired up a minute after the front.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Could also have a sticky or dirty float needle and is flooding at low rpms

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks

Thanks again for the help everyone and thanks for the pics Spockster ! And I did store it on the centerstand this winter. I used a whole can of seafoam on it last fall right before storage, and it might of knocked off some crud that dried out over the winter then sucked up and plugged the pilot jet, just guessing. And as far as gas, I always use non-ethanol high octane in her. Going to take the bike to a local shop, he said he would remove the carbs, clean them, and reinstall and sync for $100 which I thought was a great deal. He said he would also diagnose my charging problem while he had the bike. I told him about the two wire mod I did and he said he knew of it and approved of it:smile2: If I could get my bike charging it would make my whole summer.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Hey you're welcome.

Non-ethanol is best, but high octane is no help and actually can make things worse.

Poor starts, reduced performance/mpg, and increased carbon build-up can be expected with higher octane use, it burns cooler and slower than 87 octane.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow

Wow, I did not know that Spockster, thanks for the info. Only prob is the only non ethanol I can get where I live is 92 Octane. So would you use that or low octane ethanol blend ?

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Wow, I did not know that Spockster, thanks for the info. Only prob is the only non ethanol I can get where I live is 92 Octane. So would you use that or low octane ethanol blend ?
Personally, I'd go with the ethanol and lower octane. Only time I have trouble is with weeks of storage, I just run a tank with seafoam twice per season.

One year, I used non-ethanol for winter storage, and had no problems. I'm just not a fan of storing the carbs dry.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
agree with Spockster. if your an infrequent rider, some seafoam or other fuel stabilizer (for gas with ethanol) will go a long way to keep the carbs in good shape.

when I owned mine, as a daily rider, I didnt need to use seafoam hardly at all, maybe once a year. keep the fuel flowing thru the system (even if it has ethanol) and everything is ok

1 - 18 of 18 Posts