Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would give my opinion.

First I will say - I am not the biggest fan of throttle locks in general. I understand the inherent risk in using them.

I recently went on a road trip that was 5 hours each direction. I have made this trip before and decided I wanted some sort of "cruise control" to give my throttle hand a brake. I purchased the Omni Cruise: OMNI-CRUISE: Universal Motorcycle Throttle Lock

For this price this device worked really well for me. Installation is very simple (60 seconds maybe). A band is placed on the throttle grip and the device is placed over the band and tightened.

Using it was simple as well. Roll the throttle where you want it, slide the omni-cruise in place (rests against the brake lever to prevent the throttle from rolling forward by friction), and you're good. It kept the throttle in place pretty well. Minor adjustments were easy to make.

Releasing the lock was easy - simply roll the throttle forward. It did take a little "getting used to" but the learning curve was short. Just have to keep in mind that it's in place.

I didn't ever really take my hand off the throttle (maybe for a second or two) but it allowed me to relax my hand.

Just wanted to share....

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,078 Posts
might have to try one. my hand has been getting tired lately

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
might have to try one. my hand has been getting tired lately

I originally wanted one of these: BrakeAway Motorcycle Cruise Control

But at almost 4 times the cost I went with the omni-cruise. I guess one advantage - easy to take off and get out of the way when I don't need it.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I originally wanted one of these: BrakeAway Motorcycle Cruise Control

But at almost 4 times the cost I went with the omni-cruise. I guess one advantage - easy to take off and get out of the way when I don't need it.
I really do like the mechanical design of the BrakeAway. Just can't justify the cost. *sigh*

·
Tinkerer
572 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
11,834 Posts
Ryde Carbon EFF Motorcycle Cruise/Throttle Aid Thumb/Wrist/Cramp Rest Motorbike | eBay

I use one of these, it's not a cruise control as you need to keep your handle on the throttle, however you just rest the palm of your hand on it, certainly relieves sore/tired hands, I has severe arthritis and I find in invaluable on long rides
Yep, I have the similar "crampbuster" (CB1)
Original Motorcycle Cruise Control - Crampbuster

There's also Vista Cruise if you want an actual lock:
https://www.amazon.com/MOTORCYCLE-VISTA-CRUISE-CONTROL-UNIVERSAL/dp/B002EYZZSC

Or, you can just wrap a mini bungie cord around the throttle between the grip
and the housing..just enough to provide enough friction that it overcomes the return spring and the throtttle stays put where you turn it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That Vista-Cruise looks a lot like the Brake-Away control.

Bungee cord - now that's an idea. I should have tried that. Cool idea

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only problem with throttle locks is, what happens if you're knocked off the bike and the bike doesn't fall over...

Ghost rider? Dashcam catches riderless motorcycle| Latest News Videos | Fox News
Yep - like I wrote - not sure that I am a big fan of throttle locks - for various reasons. Mainly safety. I could see quickly needing to stop and grabbing the brake without releasing the throttle - could cause issues.

That video is funny and scary. Maybe it was a ghost rider. The bike (or ghost) did a great job of avoiding the car.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,078 Posts
I could stand up on the seat,though

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
i had the vista cruise unit and liked it for long trips. i only used it so i could stretch out my right arm and hand. never trusted it enough to keep it locked

1 - 12 of 12 Posts