Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions that I hope everyone could help me with. I own a 85 Vn700 with 2k miles and the bike is completely stock. From the tires to the brakes and on. I have been looking at the tires and there is no rot, but can you trust 20+ year old tires? I'm thining no and haven't had and issues with the 50 miles I put on her. I just got my license and thinking about replacing them for new one next year. I don't plan on driving her at 100 mph, long distances or the rain unless I have too. The next question is should I keep the original tires? Would an older bike like this be worth more with ALL origianal components one day. I know she's not worth more than say a 96 750 but, 10 years from now she might. I have a second seat so I don't rip the original one and have seen used 85 rims on e-bay. Or maybe I'm just being to anal. Any suggestions.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I wouldn't wait on getting new tires. Especially seeing as they are tubeless.
You only have two of them under ya. If one goes, you're pretty much screwed.
And even at 35mph, it aint gonna be fun if that does happen.

Keep the original ones?? I wouldn't. If anything, a new set of tires would make the bike worth more than the originals (IMO)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Get new tires, your life and safety is worth more than those old tires, and i assume you bought the bike to ride not collect.
Dont worry about the collector value, just ride it, it has too be pretty much in mint condition with no miles on it to be collectable.
Ride safe now.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the old rubber because it seems that bands give a tire structural integrity and you should notice any separation of the rubber long before they come apart. However, I have read somewhere that old, dried (oxidized) rubber has different traction characteristics. I would run them for a while and see that happens.

Just as a data point for the rest of us, please note the speed at which they fail before you leave the bike...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts