Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any member of this forum who purchased a VN750 new? I have looked through a ton of posts since I first joined but do not recall anyone with a "Back when it was new" story. Surely someone might have purchased one and kept it until now.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I recall reading of at least 2 folks who have bought them new. From what I understand one of them is banned for being a total A-hole and also for pushing mods like removing one of the front brakes and one of the throttle cables because he thought the bike was “over engineered”
I think Knifemaker is the other member who also bought new but I’m not 100% sure.

·
Premium Member
4,867 Posts
Before production ended in 2006, quite a few members bought new VN750s. But over time, many of them moved on to other bikes and no longer visit the forum. Obviously, no members since that time have bought new bikes.

Reactions: OleDirtyDoc

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, so do you remember if the Vulcan was "hard" to start when it was hot back then? Sometimes I think guys are kind of spoiled with everything bikes have had on them since 2010 (even earlier actually). Everything is electronic, computer controlled and basically high tech. Most guys don't have a clue about even regular maintenance since the dealer kind of takes care of the bike until it gets traded in on a new one. I, for one, am not overly concerned if my bike doesn't fire up immediately when I push the starter button. However I have seen guys who are used to fuel injection flood the motor instead of giving it a chance to fire. Then they blame the bike when they are the ones going full choke and throttle until gas is almost dripping on the ground and the battery is dead.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
This is what I was dealing with basically all the time. This video was shot in February, all I did was start the bike at home, warm it up and rode to the park which is 1.6 miles from home. The bike sat here for no more than a few minutes. This time around I didn’t get the explosive backfire that would make people hit the deck. So to respectfully disagree with your point, this is my first and only bike, I’ve never been lulled by more modern tech.

·
Super Moderator
12,154 Posts
I had the bike about a year before having hot start issues. Back then there was just the Yahoo! Group forum for the VN700/750. They all said get a AGM battery. I did, and the problem went away.
I also learned to hit the starter and just slightly crack open the throttle when it’s hot. Worked every time. I did soon after instal iridium plugs, and adjusted the idle mixture screws richer.
Had no real problems stating hot, or even cold. In freezing temperatures it sometimes took 2-3 attempts, but it always started.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Is there any member of this forum who purchased a VN750 new? I have looked through a ton of posts since I first joined but do not recall anyone with a "Back when it was new" story. Surely someone might have purchased one and kept it until now.
I'm going on 22 yrs of ownership after getting a salvaged 95 😂

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I can safely presume people who post on this forum about their bikes problems or fixes are not the kind of riders I was referring to in my initial post. Sorry if you got that impression. However, it is nice to confirm that these kind of starting problems were not problems that plagued the majority of these bikes early on.

In the early 70's Harley’s had a major reputation as being badly built, oil leaking and less than well engineered. That and the fact there wasn’t a Harley dealer within 100 miles of my home is why I bought a Kawasaki as my first new bike in 1974. You couldn’t fix those problems with a better battery.

Reactions: Grizzlyonu

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,437 Posts
I recall reading of at least 2 folks who have bought them new. From what I understand one of them is banned for being a total A-hole and also for pushing mods like removing one of the front brakes and one of the throttle cables because he thought the bike was “over engineered”
I think Knifemaker is the other member who also bought new but I’m not 100% sure.
Knifemaker is old.... Lol

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
im an old member back when there were gatherings and repairs on the cabin lawns etc. i never had a new vn750 but i knew people who did at the time. around 2005 ish. they didnt change any so i never felt the need to go new. i eventually went on to large cruisers and that was honda and harley. enjoyed the group we had back then though. lots of fun.
beav.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
676 Posts
Yes. I bought my 06 brand new and still have it with no intentions of getting rid of it. The wife won 8K in Bingo the night before and it was therefore paid off before it left the showroom floor. I haven't hung out in this forum in years but still get e-mail notifications every so often with several postings at a time. Your posting caught my attention and felt like answering. THIS answer by me is the first time I've been in here for several years. The bike is happily waiting in a warm garage during the winter attached to a battery tender. I'm in western Washington state. I take this bike on several 400 to 500+ mile rides each year and it's about as comfortable as you can expect a Vn750 to get. It's actually better now than "back when it was new".

Attachments

Reactions: Grizzlyonu

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chris and Shim, Knifemaker, thanks for the info. It does not surprise me that you had such good experiences with your Vulcans when new. That is what I would have expected had I purchased one also. I know that when you ride a bike often you get used to it and it's peculiarities if they have any. Some things aren’t really a problem after you get used to them. I have a pickup that needs the neutral safety switch replaced. Many people cannot start it because you have to position the shift lever just right. Really irritating to my kids but I just consider it a theft deterrent.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Chris and Shim, Knifemaker, thanks for the info. It does not surprise me that you had such good experiences with your Vulcans when new. That is what I would have expected had I purchased one also. I know that when you ride a bike often you get used to it and it's peculiarities if they have any. Some things aren’t really a problem after you get used to them. I have a pickup that needs the neutral safety switch replaced. Many people cannot start it because you have to position the shift lever just right. Really irritating to my kids but I just consider it a theft deterrent.
Theft deterrent, like a manual transmission :)

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
676 Posts
Of course, you are correct when you say that a person gets used to a given vehicle, regardless of two wheels or cage. I am used to this one. I know how it reacts in damn near any situation and I know my personal limits in skills. While it doesn't have the roll-on power that larger, true road machines have at freeway speeds, it still has more than enough power to kill me fifty ways to hell and will get me any place I have the desire to go. And, as I stated, it's about as comfortable as you can make its species out to be. The good windshield, lowers, highway pegs, custom seat and Progressive 412 shocks out back are about all you can really do to it to make it more comfortable. I don't need forward controls so it doesn't have them. I don't know of any additional thing to do to it to make it more comfortable. So, yes, it's better now than when it was new. Despite me having my wife's name included in my screen name, she stopped riding years back so I don't ever do two-up. It's just me and whatever I pack on it and my tie-down procedures are long practiced. I can get all of my camping gear on it quite easily. If I had to state something that I don't like about it I would say that I want longer range because the tank is too small. That should perhaps be clarified a bit. The tank is ok for the original expected, short-range use of the bike but I have moved from using it only locally to making longer and longer trips. Years back I looked into the local motorcycle fabrication shops to see if I could get the tank widened by about two inches on each side. All of the places agreed they could do it but all wanted more than I was willing to spend for something that, at that time anyway, was more of a desire than any real need. So it wasn't too fiscally viable to spend that much when I was still keeping it on shorter range movements. But now, I have a reason to finally pop for the tank enlargement as I can realistically expect to make yearly runs from my general Tacoma Washington area down to Phoenix Arizona where my daughter has a summer vacation house. I now have a reason to do the tank enlargement so that I can make it from one lonely gas station in Nevada to the next. Yep, I'm the original owner and I'll keep it.

Reactions: Oldugly and mmart
1 - 16 of 16 Posts