Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I suggest making an intro post first Gary, in the Newbie section. Interesting to have a member from your country, I think its a first, and Tervetuloa !

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
You guys DO know, that all it is basically, is an offset triple tree, right ?...thats not a true "rake change", because it still pivots on the same point and the further you turn it gets difficult to steer.

The only way to properly get more rake, is to cut behind the neck (prefereably upper tube), remove material, bend the lower to match and reweld.

These kits look nice, but they dont perform the way a proper raking does. I even consider them somewhat dangerous after seeing one up close.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
I wouldn't mind putting a generic TT on just so I can ditch the idiot gauges and put something simpler. Plus, having more head light options would be nice, too.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
I have owned and ridden bikes like the one pictured. Not done the same way, however. I agree with the Wolf.

Before anybody tries such, they should familiarize themselves with terms like rake and trail and understand them. A google search on 'negative trail' would be a good place to start.

In the picture above, they could have put the front wheel following the forks would help some.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
they could have put the front wheel following the forks would help some.
Thats because its a stock lower....just longer tubes...its a budget kit for wannabes. Nice idea, poor design.

And thats a poor design in itself, because the more you rake and extend, the less effective the front hyd forks become. Fonda's "Easy Rider" chopper may just as well been 2 solid tubes to the front. Only time you get any suspension action is when braking. Better off with a girder or springer at that point...one like a Sugar Bear.

If I was gonna chop my VN full-out, Id get a Santee frame with the rake that I wanted, then slap a springer on it. But those together would cost 5x more than I paid for the bike itself, lol.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Bull crap....you know, you talk the talk, but you talk a lotta BS too...
You dont know what youre talking about. RAKE is determined at the center of neck, the angle. Messing with the tree is not pure raking. It jury rigging. Its bullsquat.
I been building bikes since the late 60s....you ????

·
Registered
264 Posts
Bull crap....you know, you talk the talk, but you talk a lotta BS too...
You dont know what youre talking about. RAKE is determined at the center of neck, the angle. Messing with the tree is not pure raking. It jury rigging. Its bullsquat.
I been building bikes since the late 60s....you ????
is the comment for me?i know rake is measured neck to diff. in degree of forks,and as for building bikes try putting together diff.motors,engines and frames and making them work

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Been there, done that...35 years ago...Im concerned with the safety of things (and members). Some of the items posted in this thread could easily hurt someone that doesnt know any better.
If something isnt done right....its not done....offset trees are NOT the right way and are dangerous, as it doubles the stresses on the lower tree. Its the lazy man's way out. Do it right, or dont do it at all.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
Wolfie,you just quoted my ex.;)

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Mebbe Im yer ex in reverse drag, lol....ouch....scary MF thought !!! Lol.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
I am curious, is there a triple tree which is a direct swap for the old one? I really want to ditch the gauge cluster and put together a custom cluster. I mainly want to ditch all the idiot lights and only have a speedo, no tach or fuel gauge. Or, a combination meter from Dakota Digital.

If not, how hard would it be to have a cover plate made?

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I think the 1500 is (somebody here did it)....and the 1500 has the speedo on the tank thing, so the tree would be clear to do what ya want....I "think"...

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
I am curious, is there a triple tree which is a direct swap for the old one? I really want to ditch the gauge cluster and put together a custom cluster. I mainly want to ditch all the idiot lights and only have a speedo, no tach or fuel gauge. Or, a combination meter from Dakota Digital.

If not, how hard would it be to have a cover plate made?
check out fork swap comparision farther down in the wheel/suspension and brake section.that should give you an idea.is it possible to have that stickied,Wolfie?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts