Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, rarely if ever. I mean rarely, my wonder bike sportster would have a problem, but I went to start it sunday and nothing. Not even a click. So, me being the ignition switch man I figure there has to be a connection issue some place. I start checking continuity on everything and finally find the brake. Some where between the start switch and the starter relay. I can run a cable between the start switch and teh relay and it turns over when I press the switch. SO. I have to run a new cable or find the brake in the old one BUT, this cable runs without interruption according to the diagram from switch to relay. PLUS it's all bound up with all the other cables running the backbone.

How the flip do you run another cable in there. I guess I have to remove the tank and alll that crap or does someone have some cabling magic?

·
NewB to Vulcans
220 Posts
Yup, will probably need to take tank off. Run the new cable alongside the bundle and tie or tape it every so often. Cable wraps don't offer much additional protection so if there is a place that will rub add some tapeand you are good to go.

Did you check continuity while turning the handlebars? Wires break where they are bent repeatedly, if left alone they will last a long long time.

·
Registered
730 Posts
yep, sounds like what I'd do (and have done on my Pathfinder when I had to add a ground wire to the ECU loom)

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
I'd find a convenient spot on the existing wire to cut, then check continuity to the switch. If it's good there, splice the new wire to the old, then run to the start relay. Just tape or tie wrap the new wire to the outside of the harness.

Doing the pigtail splice eliminates having to solder the new wire into the switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts