Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: What are the most common size bolts on the VN 750?

Some of my so called quality sockets are twisting when used on a tight bolt. Would like to swap them out for snap on, but sets are pricey, so figured buy a few at a time starting with the most common.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I have never gotten to completely disassemble the bike, but MY most commonly used size would be 10mm.

According to the appendix for the Kawi manual torque specs chart:
5mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 16mm, 18mm, 20mm

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Question: What are the most common size bolts on the VN 750?

Some of my so called quality sockets are twisting when used on a tight bolt. Would like to swap them out for snap on, but sets are pricey, so figured buy a few at a time starting with the most common.

Thanks.
8, 10 & 14 mm
Do have a Harbor Freight store nearby?
Decent tools / prices as sets...yeah, go with 6 pt hex.
Thin wall Spark Plug socket on the rack @ Sears (like$6.00).

:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! Thanks. I have some Pittsburgh sockets that are Harbor Freight brand. These were from Napa auto. Thought I stripped the bolt, but instead it was the socket. Crap! Only thing that worked was a craftsman. Not real sure about those anymore.

·
Registered
154 Posts
New here but figured I'd jump in with a little advise.

I have a side business selling used auto mechanic tools and unless you plan on using them almost daily, or to earn a living, there really is no reason to pay the premium price for Snap-On sockets. Don't get me wrong, I love the Snap-On stuff and it makes me a lot of money. However, there's a lot of space between the typical harbor freight tools and Snap-On. Tons of good USA made stuff out there still, from the likes of Williams, S-K, Proto and yes even Craftsman if you look hard enough.

For what you would pay for a couple Snap-On sockets, you could purchase a fairly complete set of USA made sockets from a re-seller. Just something to think about.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
For all of my work I've used Husky branded sockets. They seem to work great. Snap-on is sadly not worth the extra money any more. If you can get an older snap-on set for cheap used that may be a good route to go, though.

I got a basic Husky metric set, and the Husky deep sockets for $25 or so. No bolts stripping, sockets cracking etc. I popped the rotor off with em.

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
8, 10, 12 & 14 are most common, 18 occasionally. If you're going to spend the money already, you will get a better deal buying them in sets rather than individually. Make sure that you get 6 point sockets!!! For most backyard mechanics, husky, kobalt and craftsman are good and can be bought for reasonable prices. The other things that some people don't seem to want to pay for are good quality screwdrivers and Allen wrenches. Dealing with steel screws and bolts going into a lot of aluminum holes, you have to anticipate some of them being frozen. Good tools aren't the cure for that, but they do help.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
New here but figured I'd jump in with a little advise.

I have a side business selling used auto mechanic tools and unless you plan on using them almost daily, or to earn a living, there really is no reason to pay the premium price for Snap-On sockets. Don't get me wrong, I love the Snap-On stuff and it makes me a lot of money. However, there's a lot of space between the typical harbor freight tools and Snap-On. Tons of good USA made stuff out there still, from the likes of Williams, S-K, Proto and yes even Craftsman if you look hard enough.

For what you would pay for a couple Snap-On sockets, you could purchase a fairly complete set of USA made sockets from a re-seller. Just something to think about.
Joe, do you ever get any used Metrinch tools?
Sounds like a good idea if you work on both metric and SAE inch sized fasteners.
I had never heard of them until jthill524 mentioned them a few years ago in his thread on rebuilding basket case he picked up.

See third picture in post number 13.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10664&page=2

·
Registered
154 Posts
Joe, do you ever get any used Metrinch tools?
You know, I have sold thousands of tools over the years and have never seen the metrinch before. The idea does sound convenient if they work as advertised.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
I have given Snap-On enough money to buy a house. Their impact sockets are the best money can buy. Flank drive works. I went to Kent-Moore for specialty ( read expensive) tools. K-M makes these for Snap-On.

When I no longer count on tools for my living, I bought Craftsman. Craftsman and Waterloo boxes. All made by K-D.

I bought Harbor Freight industrial grade air tools and replace them with IR.

This system allowed me to furnish my 'hobby' shop completely @ reasonable cost. I just counted, I have 84 metric combination wrenches for example.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts