Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been covered but what are the oil recommendations from this group? I've read that some bikes have clutches that are sensitive to oils but I've not seen anything that includes the Vulcan in that. So do you spend bucks on synthetics or buy the cheap Walmart brand?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wouldn't buy the "cheap" WALLY WORLD brand but use a name brand quality oil.

A far as clutch slippage, look on the back of the container for the circular seal about the oil.....if it says "Energy Conserving" it "can" cause clutch slippage. Stick with the oils that DON'T say "Energy Conserving".

Todays oils are very good quality and as long as you change it on a regular basis you're fine. If I run regular dino oil I change it every 3,000 if I rum Mobil 1 Synthetic I change it every 5,000/6,000. I try and run full synthetic in the HOT Summer months.

IMOP, you don't need to use motorcycle specific oils that cost twice as much as car oils either. I have a riding buddy that lives in San Diego and has been using regular dino CASTROL GTX 10/40 car oil in his bikes for years. He rides HARD and he's had 3 engines go over 100,000 miles with NO engine issues with the CASTROL.
He DOES change it every 3,000 religiously!

Just my opinion....I'm sure you'll have others to read.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Several people here suggest and use Rotella oil, found at wal mart. I have it in my bike and it runs smoother than when I got it. I used the synthetic one, there's also a dino oil version of it. As suggested before, just check that it doesn't say "Energy conserving".

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Oh and even the synthetic version isn't expensive at all.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Both Rottella oils have been reccomended by bikers for years...I still use the regular dino Rottella oil.

I should point out there is no truth to the rumor that you can run synthetic oils longer than non synthetic oils. Many still believe this....my only thought there is most of the synthetics cost 2 times what the dino oils cost and someone said it was OK because you can run them twice as long.

Truth is , testing has shown that synthetics don't always last that long...they do tend to run longer in certain conditions over non synthetics, but the difference is not twice as much in comparison.

This is why I have not , and may never switch to synthetic oil. As I do change my oil every 3k pretty religously, I still can't justify the added expense when there is no benfit to be seen. (in the area I live and the riding style I have)

But , lets look at this objectively...how much do you spend a year on oil...? How much on gas? I change my oil at least 2 times a year. Last jug of rottella cost me 12 bucks? I can go through 12 bucks in gas in a weekend. So in the bigger picture, oil is still pretty cheap per mile, even if you opt for the higher price stuff.

To put that in perspective for those that don't follow that, If I go 6000 miles a year (for the two oil changes) and my bike gets 45 mpg...that works out to 133 gallons of gas. At lets say $2.59 a gallon, thats $344.00 I spend on gas, and just under 30 dollars a year on 2 oil and filter changes.

So really, in the big picture, I could switch to synthetic oil and it really would not be that big of a yearly cost ...

KM

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I want to say it this time "NOT ANOTHER OIL THREAD!":BLAM: ;)

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I ran Rotella 5w-40 Synthetic in my vn750s and liked it... It was, and I think still is $19.?? a gallon at china-mart and Auto zone...
I now run 15w-50 Mobil 1 in my air cooled Sportster, as synthetic is said to run cooler, and my clutch don't run in the engine oil either, but in another compartment....
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Check the Vulcan Verses under the "Maintenance" topic and "Engine Oil type".

·
Registered
33 Posts
It seems that everyone was a new guy every now and then. I would suggest if you don.t like the subject don't open it.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
It seems that everyone was a new guy every now and then. I would suggest if you don.t like the subject don't open it.
if you're referring to me you should check the emoticon at the end of what I wrote.and since everyone was new at one time This has been talked about so much that it is sort of a running joke,"Not another oil thread" was actually a thread title .

The wink at the end meant I was just joking,if it wasn't meant for me, sorry, but we can tell who you are hacking on better if you use the quote feature.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Both Rottella oils have been reccomended by bikers for years...I still use the regular dino Rottella oil.

I should point out there is no truth to the rumor that you can run synthetic oils longer than non synthetic oils. Many still believe this....my only thought there is most of the synthetics cost 2 times what the dino oils cost and someone said it was OK because you can run them twice as long.

Truth is , testing has shown that synthetics don't always last that long...they do tend to run longer in certain conditions over non synthetics, but the difference is not twice as much in comparison.

This is why I have not , and may never switch to synthetic oil. As I do change my oil every 3k pretty religously, I still can't justify the added expense when there is no benfit to be seen. (in the area I live and the riding style I have)
KM
All the studies I've seen say FULL Synthetic oil DOES outlast regular dino oil. It may not last TWICE as long but it does last longer.
There are other benefits of a FULL Synthetic too.....it loobs better, runs cooler, and keeps your engine cleaner.
If you tore down 2 motors with say 200,000 miles on them one with Synth and the other with dino you could tell which motor ran synth.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I've run dino Rotella (based on opinion here) and did not like it. Clunky shifts and clutch grinding was daily. Never happened running Lucas 20-50 MC synth. I have a gallon of T6 waiting to go in.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I may be a bit old & whacko about oils, as in my younger days the oil was 20w, 30w, or whatever weight and remembering when you poured it in cold or cool weather it being kinda like molasses, then when you drained it hot it was more like horse pee... BTW-You really felt that cold stiff oil when you had to hand crank something in cold weather...
So as you may have noticed mostly I go for the wide spread like 5w-40 in the vn750 & the 15w-50 in the Sportster... I see that my 2010 Mercury G.M. owners manual recommends 5w-20, man that is some thin stuff, but they know more about it than I, for sure...lol...
In 1966 I bought a new Dodge Coronet 500 w/426 Hemi engine and 15w-40 Rotella T was about the best spread I could get, so that is the oil I ran in it, and I must say it did wonderful, and beyond my expectations, I think that is also one thing that got me in that train of thought...
Remember those days when you had to think on your own, no calculators, no computers, pencil and paper was the school standard, and in my neck of the woods at least, no TVs, shucks even electricity till a bit later...lol...
I really don't see anything wrong with asking about other folks thoughts & opinions on what oil to run in the vn750 or whatever, things change in short times, y'all remember how fast the rating have gone, shoot I don't know myself what is best now, SG, SH, SJ, SL, ...???
No, since we now have this wonderful means to pass along information, why not use it to find what seems to do the best...???

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
All the studies I've seen say FULL Synthetic oil DOES outlast regular dino oil. It may not last TWICE as long but it does last longer.
There are other benefits of a FULL Synthetic too.....it loobs better, runs cooler, and keeps your engine cleaner.
If you tore down 2 motors with say 200,000 miles on them one with Synth and the other with dino you could tell which motor ran synth.
And that was my point, NOT twice as long....(but it costs twice as much?)

And yes, you can show that it works better...under certain conditions. A newer motor that is not run hard that gets 3000 mile changes of dino oil will not look any worse than the same motor running synthetic. They should both look pretty damn clean, I doubt anyone can tell the difference.

Now take two simular motors and run the crap out of them for 10,000 miles without an oil change and I would bet the synthetic oiled motor would look a bit better... but it might not as motors do not wear the same.

Not knocking synthetics, just saying they are not the wonder oils we all have been waiting for.

KM

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Not exactly what KM is speakin of, but remember the early 2 stroke oils with their claims that you could run a whisper of oil in your MX bike...???
It sure ruined a bunch of engines, they would scream for a while...lol...
I almost bit, but didn't after seeing so many good engines ruined for the lack of oil....
They soon discovered that it took a bit more than a whisper, even with synthetic...lol...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts