Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Manual recommends 10/40 10/50 20/40 20/50.
So I guess the 10 range is meant for cooler climates with slower warm ups, and the 20 range is meant for warmer morning starts, and the 40 and 50 top figures are meant for holding viscosity at operating temperatures.
It has been long known that too heavy oil is harder to circulate cold, and gives rise to premature engine wear factors. The high end figures of 40 to 50 weight oil, I guess again are for people who run harder and hotter, or alternately for engines that have a good degree of wear.
The factory sets the run temperature of the engine oil to 194 F, and the water temp thermostat at 174 F to 185 F from memory, so the 10 weight difference between the two low end recommended viscosity's 10 and 20 base, and the 10 weight difference high end 40 and 50 top weight.
Out of all this,does this mean that at some point the 40 weight is going to thin too much at full temperature, needing heavier oil or a cooler? I also wonder about heat transfer comparitivly between heavier and lighter oil. I also find it interesting that hydraulics run light oil is this for heat or some other reason?
I have 10/50 Penrite in my bike,and have noticed if I leave it on the side stand over night, it will puff a bit of white to grey smoke till warm. left on the centre stand ,no smoke. Perhaps it's a worn guide and or I should have used a 20/50 oil,with a bit more body cold. What's your thinking?

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
My thinking is you pick an oil based on the tempature it will be outside while your riding. I think the manual basicly says this.
I'd use 10w40 all season myself, but I think if you live where it's ungodly hot and ride, the 20w50 makes more sense, and to top that is also reccomend you use a synthetic.

White smoke is usually an indicator of a coolant link, but in your case the difference might just be having more condensation collect in the pipe when the bikes leaned over.

Not many folks live and ride in tempatures that actually require a 10w (or 20w) oil......but the bike was designed to run multivise oil, and I don't really think there's helluva difference between the 40 and 50.
I think I'm using 15w50 right now... Can't remember.

Hydraulic systems use light oil because the oil isn't lubricating moving parts that are under any significant pressure.

And I'm not getting into that whole oil cooler thing until Wolf re-opens the other thread.

·
Super Moderator
2,568 Posts
My thinking is you pick an oil based on the tempature it will be outside while your riding. I think the manual basicly says this.
I'd use 10w40 all season myself, but I think if you live where it's ungodly hot and ride, the 20w50 makes more sense, and to top that is also reccomend you use a synthetic.

White smoke is usually an indicator of a coolant link, but in your case the difference might just be having more condensation collect in the pipe when the bikes leaned over.

Not many folks live and ride in tempatures that actually require a 10w (or 20w) oil......but the bike was designed to run multivise oil, and I don't really think there's helluva difference between the 40 and 50.
I think I'm using 15w50 right now... Can't remember.

Hydraulic systems use light oil because the oil isn't lubricating moving parts that are under any significant pressure.

And I'm not getting into that whole oil cooler thing until Wolf re-opens the other thread.
pretty much the same for me KM. although I have 10w40 in mine right now.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Temps.

I do not know where you got that , but those temperatures are optimum. If anything the water temp is a hair low.
The figures quoted from the Kawasaki service Manual,
6.4 engine lubrication systems, oil grades and Temp.
3.3 Water capacity and thermostat specs.
Also mentions oil pressure to be read at 4000 rpm ??? "43 to 51 psi"
I should fit an oil gauge and read it at Idle, I've been told as long as there is even a couple of psi, it's ok.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
First...dont go by the Kawi manual....oils have changed....In a HOT environ, a 10-50 would be ok....normally a 10-40 is the best all around...most have found that Castrol auto oil works best. Some will chime in with the Amsoil and Rotella spiel, but they dont seem to be as friendly to our clutches....

And WTF ????....we gottya have at least 40 posts all askin the same....

..."another fookin oil thread"......this is why I wanna live deep in the woods with limited internet....sheit here recently has been pissin me off...

Not singling you out Nick, yer a good Joe....but why in the fook cant anyone just board search ????....I can see Nick, he's an Aussie, mebbe 56k (;))....but a few others have been really pissin me off.....stupid questions, when all the answers are here, have been discussed, and results stated.....

Those who have been abusing it, you know who you are, Soon, when a question comes up thats been answered in countless threads, Im gonna just start deleting em. It causes confusion for others,

Again, Nick....sorry I posted this here....wasnt aimed at you specifically bro...

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Been running 10/40 for years now in a fairly warm area, No problems.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Me good. Speaking of board searching,I used the internal search engine on idle issues and found some very good advise and information, from anothers thread.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Something to keep in mind. The site search function is pretty poor. While I don't like Google I've gotten much better results finding subjects here by using google, put in my search terms, and then vn750. notes from this board usually show pretty high in the google results. Another member on this site who works in computers uses the same method for searching.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Something to keep in mind. The site search function is pretty poor. While I don't like Google I've gotten much better results finding subjects here by using google, put in my search terms, and then vn750. notes from this board usually show pretty high in the google results. Another member on this site who works in computers uses the same method for searching.
Yes.

I lurked for some time and yes.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Google...VN750 search's......Good to know....many of my search's.... have not been rewarding either....knowing I had previously read better info threads/posts.

Thanks

:smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Thank you brother Slim......I personally use Bing (it has a "source" tab)....also....dont forget that the board's internal search has all the kiddie options full on Im sure....if one removes all filters, and tries it, it works fine. Just a matter of learning to use ones comp properly. 75% of the people who use the internet dont understand even the most simple proceedures. Its society's fault btw....but one needs to "color outside the lines" at times, and do some learning on their own as well. Modern OSs and internet websites and search engines try to be "idiot friendly"....well, if ya wanna actually use it to its full capabilities.....dont follow the sheep. Sorry again for ranting in this thread...lotta personal problems as well as board issues lately. Sorry.

·
Alpha Geek
487 Posts
Yeah, I do that and click the link under the first set that says "see more results from VN750.com". Another shortcut is to put something like site:vn750.com in the search.

I run Shell 15-xx diesel oil. I don't recall whether it's 15-40 or 15-50, whichever is in gallons at Walmart. No clutch or oil pressure problems down to ~40°F riding or above 100°F ambient temp plus the sun. Never had chatter or "coffee grinder" noise. Having owned and worked on diesels, I'll say it's good stuff. It's right in the middle of the recommended weights for this bike so you won't have pressure problems like you sometimes can with too light of an oil, still thin enough for the coldest riding most would want to do. Being a diesel oil, it's developed to withstand much higher compression engines, protect bearings from higher stresses, higher temps, and has more detergents to keep everything clean and sludge-free. And it's cheap and available anywhere. As long as I don't have problems with circulation, pressure or the clutch, I can't say I'd ever want anything else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts