Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my recently acquired '91 750, I've discovered that the oil sight glass is destroyed. From my best guess, someone sandblasted it (and presumably the rest of the engine, since it's been painted black too).

This has left it with a rough, and opaque finish, so I have no way to read my oil level.

What's the best plan for replacing the sight glass? Can I do it without splitting the cases? Can I get the glass itself, or will I need a new left case(please say no...)?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
If it is all scratched up (bead blasted) you could try to polish it. Super fine grit sandpaper till smooth and then use polishing compound to make it clear again. I'd use a Dremel tool with a buffing pad and try that out before tearing the side cover off. Might take a little time but it would be a lot easier than taking the cover off amd replacing it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mine was opaque too, hard to read. I just popped it out and cleaned, and was good as new. if it was scratched up pop it out and like Angell said polish it with fine 2000+ grit sand paper. polish it with Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sanding it, and buffing off the abrasion seems a good plan. I have a dremel with sanding and buffing pads, and I've got mothers, so I should be good to go.

smltownr, you mentioned that you popped out the sight glass. Can that be done without removing the side case? I'd rather avoid having to strip the engine down that far for this little repair, in the case that I can't get it clear in place.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Sanding it, and buffing off the abrasion seems a good plan. I have a dremel with sanding and buffing pads, and I've got mothers, so I should be good to go.

smltownr, you mentioned that you popped out the sight glass. Can that be done without removing the side case? I'd rather avoid having to strip the engine down that far for this little repair, in the case that I can't get it clear in place.
that side covern be removed without removing the engine but it is a nightmare to get a good seal on the gasket when replacing it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts