Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the bike got hot really fast on my ride today. Got back and the radiator was low so I added water. Brown sludge came out of top as I over filled it.:( There is no water showing up in the oil at this time.

So could it be the water pump seal?

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
It might not be oil. Might be old sealer or sediment in there. Probably needs a good flush and fill.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it smells just like oil. I put my finger in it and it smells and feels just like oil, it has that slick look to it too.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
flush it and investigate further

·
1,100 Posts
it smells just like oil. I put my finger in it and it smells and feels just like oil, it has that slick look to it too.
but your engine oil looks good though? Didn't the bike sit for a long time before you got it? I'm still not thinking its the water pump seal, although I haven't got any experience in that area of the bike but I would think your engine oil would show trouble too if it was. Some additives have a slick consistency to them. I'm sure others will help out. Hope it isn't serious for you tho.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
X3,,, Drain, Flush, Refill w/water, investigate further, could just be crude floating around.Or, someone is playing a "Bad" joke on you. If the crankcase is "Making Oil" ( quanity increasing )then thats a different story.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Is your oil low, If not then it probabley is not oil.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Mine was awful the first time I flushed it. Brown and slimy... I had to flush it sooo many times to get the water to come out clear.

The radiator still has rust n stuff in it. Couldn't get it all out and as far as I can tell, the radiator can't be opened up and serviced like a car radiator... which SUCKS.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
If it is oil, it could be the water pump mechanical seal, a head gasket, or even a crack in one of the cylinders or heads. But I would not jump to conclusions yet. If it is that bad, I would remove the radiator, and the thermostat (which could be bad if it overheated quickly), all the drain plugs, and give it a good flushing out. If it's REALLY bad, I would use a flushing chemical designed for aluminum engines. I normally don't recommend doing that, as it is hard on aluminum, but if your cooling system is plugged up somehow, it is to late to worry about that. Stick a hose in the inlet, and let it run for a while till it comes out clear. After a good cleaning, and after getting everything put back together, I do recommend flushing it good with distilled water to remove all the mineral water and flushing chemical, before filling it up with fresh coolant.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I recommend that you check the crankcase for water. Let it sit for a while and than remove the bottom oil drain and check to see if you got any water in the oil. If so you got a problem.

·
Banned
448 Posts
If you have water in your oil, you can look at the sight glass and will know if there is any in there.
The brown sludge in the radiator could be some type of sealant. It will look like oil, and have that slimy slick feeling.
Does it look like milk chocolate, like a light brown? If so I would almost bet that's what it is. Light brown is also an indicator that it's oil but I'm willing to bet it's sealant.
When you drain your system there are some bolts you will need to remove besides your radiator drain.
There are 1 on each cylinder at the bottom on each side.
Front cylinder is on the right side, and the rear cylinder is on the left side.
There is also a drain on the right side of the bike under the case. They are small bolts with an 10MM head I believe.
Pull the bottom hose off the radiator, pull the thermostat, and let water run through it till it runs clear.
Keep us informed.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Coolant in the oil will show up as a white color in the sight glass, and if it has gone that far, you have problems. (Do not confuse that with condensation in the oil after the bike has sat for a while under cold wet conditions) The crankcase is vented to the atmosphere, and moisture from outside can get in. If it is bad enough, it can also show up as a whitish appearance in the site glass, but will go away fairly quickly after riding a few miles gets the engine hot, and it evaporates. That is just plain water. Coolant (ethylene glycol and water) mixed with oil makes glue, and will plug everything up. If there is coolant in the oil, and the engine still runs, stop, and drain the oil/coolant mess out of it. There is a chemical called "butyl cellosolve" which will clean out the engine if no serious damage has already been done.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking through the sight glass all I see is oil. Tomorrow I am going to drain the oil just in case. I will also be flushing the rad.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
If it doesn't look white in the sight glass, there is no coolant in it. It only takes a couple of ounces of ethylene glycol to make 4 qts. of oil look like milk. But changing the oil is always a good idea, as well as cleaning out the cooling system and refilling. BTW, look right on the bottom of the engine, near the right footpeg, and you will see a small hole. Is anything leaking from there? A leak there (usually coolant but occasionally oil) is one of the most common signs of a blown water pump mechanical seal. If it is not leaking anything there, you are PROBABLY ok.

BTW, when refilling the system with fresh coolant, you don't need to mess with that air bleeder valve, it is only a few inches from the filler opening. Just start the engine, and pour the coolant in slowly. Any trapped air will come right out through the filler opening. Just don't fill it too fast.

Remove and clean the coolant overflow tank. I cleaned mine with toilet bowl cleaner, the acid dissolved the brown stuff stuck to the inside. I then rinsed it out with faucet water real good to get all the acid out, filled it with distilled water, and poured that out, reinstalled it, and filled it about halfway. Keep an eye on it, the level may drop after a few heat/cool cycles.

·
1,100 Posts
Sorry to hear it OG... :(

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts