Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I bought my vulcan it was in rough shape, until now I have been changing the oil through the drain bolt but really want to clean the screen assembly. The PO had stripped the heck out of it to the point it is no longer a nut but more like a clean circle...anyone out there have any tips to get this off? I tried PB blaster and vice grips but it won't budge-any advice would be greatly appreciatted.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
You can file two of the sides flat so you can get a good wrench on it. That should probably do it.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
A dremel tool with grinding/sanding drum works faster.
:smiley_th I need to get one for my tool-kit. I keep doing things the hard way :p

·
Registered
194 Posts
use the dremel tool to cut a straight slot in the center, and use a hand impact driver with a tip that fits the slot well, i guarantee it will come right out with less than 5 minutes work. i have removed a hundred bolts and such with this technique and don't even bother to try any other method. just my two cents, but i tear down bikes for a living and have had a lot of stripped stuff over the years. if it is really tight, torch the motor case for about 30 seconds, keeping the torch moving. it will make the metal expand and aid with removal. a propane torch is all you need, or a heat gun would even work.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:beerchug:Thanks guys for all the tips- thtanner definately get a Dremel I wasn't sure I needed one at first but it's become one of my favorite tools. I'm a little ashamed I didn't think about the file tip lol I'll give that a shot since the only torch I have is MAP gas. Now I hope I dont find any ugly suprises in there, thanks again and ride safe.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
The PO had stripped the heck out of it to the point it is no longer a nut but more like a clean circle...anyone out there have any tips to get this off?
Same here....I used a pair of vise-grips (curved jaw) to get it off, then took a file and made it a non metric size....its alloy, so files easily. I can put a box wrench on it now no prob. No need to buy new. Big thing is to not overtighten when reinstalling. Some people overtighten oil filters too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts