Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have noticed oil dripping from the left side of the engine down on the bottome of the engine cover by the kickstand. The cover says Kawaski 8 valve. I took the cover off as I am going to replace all the rubber seals on the cover. The problem I am not sure about is........is there supposed to be oil under this cover? There looks like electronic components under there that may even look like a stator or something.

Can anyone elaborate on this?

Thanks !!!!!

Jake

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Yes this is your stator, and yes there is suposto be oil in there.

·
Registered
226 Posts
What else can you do for the cover? I replaced the Oring, but it still leaks a little. Is there like a gasket sealer you can put down there as well to help seal it up?

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
InsuredDisaster said:
What else can you do for the cover? I replaced the Oring, but it still leaks a little. Is there like a gasket sealer you can put down there as well to help seal it up?
i prefer using gasket maker over orings and gaskets all the time... i think it works better. just get some good high temp rtv (the red kind) put some where you need it... dont be shy, but you dont wanna over do it.... tighten to where is squeezes out, but not all the way. just to get in all the cracks. let it sit and dry, about 2-4 hrs normally but check the back of the tube, each one is slightly different. once its set... tighten away. if you care about looks, you can even trim up the extra. once u get good you shouldnt have very much extra.

i've used this method on my jeep for yrs, havent had a gasket fail yet (knocks on wood). just remember 2 things.
1) not too thick, or it will split when tightened. 1/16th to 1/32nd is prob best.
2) makes sure the surfaces that the gasket maker will be applied to is clean of dirt, oil and old gaskets. u can use a plastic gasket scraper on aluminum blocks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts