Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to track down a slight oil leak from the front on the engine on the left side. Since the oil pressure switch is covered in oil and is up wind while riding, I think it’s the smoking gun. (This pics is after washing with degreaser)

Can anyone tell me the switch should stick this far out of the switch nut? Maybe this is the wrong switch?

Finally, can anyone tell me if there should be a crush washer or gasket between the switch and the switch nut? the parts diagrams says no by the looks of it.

cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ubertalldude. The switch came off with the switch nut so it was a tight fit.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Agreed, no washer between the switch and adapter. That does look like the correct switch. Replacements can be pricey, I got one for a Ford at $8, but had to re-thread it, the original has British Pipe Threads, BPT, if I recall.

Make sure the oil isn't coming from the weep hole located just below the crankcase vent, higher than the oil switch. A bad o-ring on the spark plug well will cause an oil leak there. Here's a thread with a pic:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Good call, spockster. I almost forgot about that potential leak point. Also worth looking at the crankcase breather/vent, it’s in a similar location on the front of the engine above the switch

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks spockster. I can see oil on the crank case and cylinder barrel, but not the spark plug seal as far as I can tell. The radiator is still on the bike, but I can feel the weep hole. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Makes much more sense than a leaking oil pressure switch.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Thanks spockster. I can see oil on the crank case and cylinder barrel, but not the spark plug seal as far as I can tell. The radiator is still on the bike, but I can feel the weep hole. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Makes much more sense than a leaking oil pressure switch.
You're welcome.

It's not uncommon for an oil sender to leak from the switch body. Might have to clean it all up and see where the oil appears first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts