Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone here has had a similar issue

It all started after i did an oil and filter change - everything was fine in a few hours after the change My oil guage lite came up. I looked down at the glass hole and realised oil was not pumping - I shut off the engine - opened the filter a few threads and let it burp - The problem went away.

The same happened a few days later - I open the filter and burp it - its fine .
I decided to replace the filter with another new one - this time a FRAM.

Again the same issue came up - i burped it - decide to replace the filter again and topped off the lost oil.

For a month this had stopped and was behaving fine until yesterday it went back to the same issue.

I now carry a small pint of oil and a filter wrench on my ride wondering if it would do this somewhere after i stopped

Any pointers ? Also the oil was very clean when I drained it and it was just 2500 miles when i changed oil. The new oil on it is Castrol Syntetic 10W-40 sold in the Black container

Thanks

·
Registered
738 Posts
I wonder if anyone here has had a similar issue

It all started after i did an oil and filter change - everything was fine in a few hours after the change My oil guage lite came up. I looked down at the glass hole and realised oil was not pumping - I shut off the engine - opened the filter a few threads and let it burp - The problem went away.

The same happened a few days later - I open the filter and burp it - its fine .
I decided to replace the filter with another new one - this time a FRAM.

Again the same issue came up - i burped it - decide to replace the filter again and topped off the lost oil.

For a month this had stopped and was behaving fine until yesterday it went back to the same issue.

I now carry a small pint of oil and a filter wrench on my ride wondering if it would do this somewhere after i stopped

Any pointers ? Also the oil was very clean when I drained it and it was just 2500 miles when i changed oil. The new oil on it is Castrol Syntetic 10W-40 sold in the Black container

Thanks
Same problem here. Oil changed by the dealership, so I know that they did NOT do #1 below (few every do). Returned and had to instruct them on #2 below (after getting some strange looks). Another problem that was causing it was low RPMs when cold. I solved that by better use of the choke. Haven't seen the problem in the last 2,000 miles.

1. Always prefill the filter, let it sit and soak in, then top off before installing
2. Engine must be running to properly 'burp' the filter. This uses the oil pump to expell the excess air. Some oil will spit out, but that's what your looking for. Engine off during this will just let more air in.

Do #1 first and always, then use #2 if you still have a problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did the #1 always before replacing the filter
#2 what I am doing is loosening the filter - cranking the engine - oil spills - shutting the engine - then tightening the filter - topping the oil

Are you suggesting to keep the engine cranked and then tightening the filter ?

·
Registered
738 Posts
I did the #1 always before replacing the filter
#2 what I am doing is loosening the filter - cranking the engine - oil spills - shutting the engine - then tightening the filter - topping the oil

Are you suggesting to keep the engine cranked and then tightening the filter ?
Yes, engine running when during entire burping process. Try this;

1. Spray some soapy water around the oil filter area to make cleanup easier
2. Place newspaper or some other barrier under the bike
3. Start the bike and leave it running
4. wrap a rag around the base of the filter, but not tight, just enough to catch some of the oil that's about to come out
5. Slowwwwly, unscrew the filter, peeping around the rag at the base for oil
6. When you see oil spitting out (under a little bit of pressure), then all or most of the air should have be gone.
7. Screw the filter back in, hand tight
8. Stop the engine and let the oil return to the sump
9. Start the bike back up and monitor the oil sight glass. Oil level should go down indicating that the oil is being distributed (i.e., should have oil pressure).
10. Check for leaks around the filter, tighten (little by little) as needed.
11. Cleanup (here is where the soap spray makes it easier).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will give it a shot - I have run out of oil - i need to have that to top up the loss

Thanks

·
Registered
738 Posts
I will give it a shot - I have run out of oil - i need to have that to top up the loss

Thanks
The amount of oil lost during the procedure should be minimal, maybe a few ounces. However, you may have to repeat the process. So yes, always have extra oil on hand when doing this type of procedure (just in case).

·
Registered
10 Posts
1. Spray some soapy water around the oil filter area to make cleanup easier
2. Place newspaper or some other barrier under the bike
3. Start the bike and leave it running
4. wrap a rag around the base of the filter, but not tight, just enough to catch some of the oil that's about to come out
5. Slowwwwly, unscrew the filter, peeping around the rag at the base for oil
6. When you see oil spitting out (under a little bit of pressure), then all or most of the air should have be gone.
7. Screw the filter back in, hand tight
8. Stop the engine and let the oil return to the sump
9. Start the bike back up and monitor the oil sight glass. Oil level should go down indicating that the oil is being distributed (i.e., should have oil pressure).
10. Check for leaks around the filter, tighten (little by little) as needed.
11. Cleanup (here is where the soap spray makes it easier).
Eleven years later and this post is still relevant. It just helped me tremendously today. Clymer manual never mentions the need to burp the oil filter. I had no pressure following what should have been a routine oil change and was in a panic. I was about to post my question when I found this excellent bit of advice which solved my problem.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
I've had to do this once, but since then I've been pre-filling the oil filter.

If you fill the filter to half full and let the oil soak in a bit, the oil won't spill out while installing the filter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Guess I spoke too soon. I actually did pre-fill the filter all the way, let it soak in, then filled it again before putting it on. I still had to burp it to get that oil light to turn off. I've since had to burp it every morning when I start the beast up. What gives? I didn't have this problem before I changed the oil so I'm guessing I did something wrong, but what? The oil is all foamy too - UNTIL I burp it. After that, it's fine. The filter is plenty tight when I'm done. I crank it by hand after it "burps", at which point the light instantly shuts off. I then turn the bike off. I then tighten the filter some more with the strap wrench (mostly because it's covered in oil). I then check the sight glass to make sure the oil level is okay. Everything then works great the rest of the day. Next morning, same procedure.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Wix filter, btw - if that matters
If the Wix doesn't have the anti-drainback valve, that could cause a problem, since the filter is horizontal.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Edit: This Wix for the VN has anti-drainback. I also replaced my oil sending unit, seems like the threads on that were British pipe threads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts