Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I rode my 750 on my grass lawn, made too sharp a right turn and the sandy Florida soil gave way causing the bike to fall to the right. I picked up the bike and re-started the engine. The oil pressure light came on and would not turn off. I shut the engine off for fear of causing excess wear with no oil pressure. I took it to the dealer, they started it up and let it run at 1500 RPM for a few minutes, then the oil pressure light went out. The dealer said that when the bike went down the oil flowed to one side and caused an air bubble to form in the oil pressure line going to the sending unit. This caused the oil pressure sending unit to malfunction. The oil light was on but the engine was still getting oil pressure. It was not registering because of the air bubble. When the engine ran a while it finally caused the air bubble in the line to dissapate and the oil light went out. At first I was afraid I had an oil pump problem. Anyone out there have this same problem.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
I've found that problem when i first my bike from when i bought it. It came on for a moment, so i pulled to the nearest gas station. I then let it sit to make sure there was oil in the sight glass. Then i started it, to make sure the pump was pulling it. as she was running, the light went away. I've always put on the high side the right amount of oil, and havent had it sence.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I've had mine stay on a little longer than expected after a filter change, and like the shop did, I let it run a bit (don't remember the rpm range, but more than at idle) and it cleared up shortly after.

I'd say you're good to go, and, better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I've had mine stay on a little longer than expected after a filter change, and like the shop did, I let it run a bit (don't remember the rpm range, but more than at idle) and it cleared up shortly after.

I'd say you're good to go, and, better safe than sorry.
Until the oil filter fills with oil, the air in it does not compress so the light will stay on for a few seconds while the air is displaced by the oil. Like you said, perfectly normal.

Jon

·
2FAS4U
469 Posts
I had my oil light come on twice while riding in the rain. I figured the water somehow grounded the switch. I insulated the connection with some liquid electrical tape. It was enough to scare me the 1st time. I have installed an oil pressure gauge to ease my mind. I used a 2" Autometer electrical gauge in a cup and a tee at the switch. I have it strapped to my speedo, untill I can make a bracket.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yeah I dropped mine on my lawn once.Gave it a little to much gas I went right down.I had the oil light stay on for a while.I was concerned.But I let it idle a few minutes and the light went out WHEW.............

1 - 6 of 6 Posts