Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`ve had this 750 since 2006, never had a problem, the last 3 oil changes it took several minutes for the oil pressure light to go off after putting new oil and filter in. Today I rode about a half mile and noticed the oil light was on, the motor has 32,000 miles with no problems, could the oil pump have gone bad? Any input will be appreciated. RCM

·
Registered
774 Posts
Probably not, you can check by running the engine with the filter on loosely, then veeeery sloooowly unscrewing the filter (be ready to screw it back on very quickly and have a rag handy for the oil that will hopefully come spurting out!). If oil spurts out, you probably just fixed your problem by releasing air from the oil system. You can avoid this during oil changes by filling the filter with oil and letting it soak for a while, topping up the filter, then installing it while it's full of oil. Otherwise air gets into the system and you have to "burp" the system by unscrewing the filter like I said above in order to let air out of the system.

If you're still having oil light issues we can explore further after you burp it. Let us know how that goes.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
If the oil pressure hit zero, I would guess there should be a lot of rattling from the valves, since the hydraulic lifters would collapse.

I know my light is pretty sensitive to a low oil level, found that out when I had a gasket leaking.

But like uber said, pre-fill the filter a bit, it can help. Burp it, will probably be fine.

Did you switch oil filter brands?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Probably not, you can check by running the engine with the filter on loosely, then veeeery sloooowly unscrewing the filter (be ready to screw it back on very quickly and have a rag handy for the oil that will hopefully come spurting out!). If oil spurts out, you probably just fixed your problem by releasing air from the oil system. You can avoid this during oil changes by filling the filter with oil and letting it soak for a while, topping up the filter, then installing it while it's full of oil. Otherwise air gets into the system and you have to "burp" the system by unscrewing the filter like I said above in order to let air out of the system.

If you're still having oil light issues we can explore further after you burp it. Let us know how that goes.
Happened to me with the OEM filters. I switch to Bosch 3323 (better oil drain back valve) and always prefill the filter before install (as outlined above). Never had the issue since (over 7 years now).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts